Jones Tract map

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Ben, you had posted a copy of the Jones Tract map, what book was this in? Thanks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

Are you just interested in the people from Hanover Furnace, or do you also have an interest in the property? Have you read to the end of my article on the main page on the Lawrence Line?

Guy

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Guy,

I did read to the end of your article. It is interesting, I had read it a couple of months back not realizing that it was tied to this site. Right now, I am more interested in the two families that were involved in the furnace.

Tom

B

bach2yoga

Joseph Ridgeway conveyed the Hanover tract in 1791 to Joseph Howell, John Lacey and Clayton Earl...1792 Samuel Howell Jr obtained title for 1/4 interest in sawmill, ironworks and furnace called Mount Misery Saw Mills and Hanover tract, but died before the transfer had been made, his heirs became owners of this portion. Furnacewas builtbetween1791 and 1792 by Lacey Earl and Ridgeway. Info from SSO Deed Book AR p 62, Burlington County Road Book ! p 197, Burlington County Deeds, Book D p 361
Howell family aquired the interests of the other partners except Lacey. Benjamin Jones of Philly who married Mary H Howell (2nd wife), granddqughter of Samuel Howell Sr, began buying out the other partners. "By a codicil in the will of Samuel Howell, Mt Saw Mill Tract was bequeathed to his granddaughter, Mary H Jones. Benjamin and Mary Jones deeded this moiety or half interest to William E Howell on Feb 26 1808, and he retransferred it to Benjamin Jones the next day for a consideration of $9000. On March 22, 1811, Jones secured the 1/4 interest of Thomas R Howell and in 1811 bought the remaining interest of John Lacey, this giving him entire control of the Hanover company. (Trenton Federalist, Je 20, 1803, Burlington County Deeds, Book T p 494; Book X, p. 590, Book V-s p 434)
Subsequently Benjamin Jones became indebted to divers persons in large sums of money and in 1819 transferred all his properties to Mark Richards and William E Howell as trustees, who were specifically authorized to operate Hanover Furnace for the benefit of the creditors. So successful was this plant under the trustees that by 1826 all the indebtedness had been paid off and the properties again transferred to Benjamin Jones.
Benjamin Jones continued to operate the furnace until January 29 1846 when for a consideration of $30000 he sold the entire Hanover Estate to his sons Samuel H and Richard Jones, who operated under this firm name R and SH Jones. Additional lands were bought and many expansions made under this management, which continued until about 1850, when Richard Jones went to Newark and organized the NJ Exploration and Mining Company, later the NJ Zink Company. In 1853, he moved to Florence where he built a furnace , using some of the old Hanover Furnace equipment in the new plant. Samuel H. Jones remained at Hanover Furnace. One of the apparent weaknesses of Benjamin, Samuel, and Richard Jones seems to have been the buyin of unnecessary quantities of land, much of it worthless swamps....From about 1851 their equity in the property was at times judged by the number of mortgages and liens recorded against them, only nominal. Work at the furnace finally stopped in 1863-64."
1861 a division: Saumuel H Jones allotted the Hanover Furnace section 19308 acres
heirs of Richard Jones reec'd southern part including Marian Forge 25,145 acres.
Of Samuel H Jones little is known...died 1883, by his will made provision for his 2 brothers Benjamin @ and Richard who do not appear to have been as fortunated as he was...also provided for his son Samuel H Jones Jr and 8 nieces and nephews. Richard, after retiring from the Florence Foundry about 1865-67 moved to Mount Holly where he died in 1890. He operated Florence Works until 1864, when he retired from actve business and the works have been carried on by RD Wood and successors.
Benjamin Jones was instrumental in establishing the road from Hanover to the Old Monmouth Road which was long known as the Gun Road....Later through the energy of Benjamin Jones, a railroad was constructed from Kinkora to New Lisbon.
p 89-91 Boyer
Also listed are
John Ladd Howell in conjunction with Aetna furnace in Atlantic County on the Tuckahoe, and a set of papers called the Howell Papers, now in possession of Frank H Stewar President of the Gloucester County NJ Historical Society
Benjamin Bettertown Howell, nephew of Colonel Josha Ladd Howell
John Ladd Howell 2nd, son of Cl Howell,and while his father was allied with the party which advocated a settlement of our difficulties with Great Britain in 1812 upon honorable terms, and the repeal of the act of Congress declaring war, he became a sergeant in the Washington Guard of Phila..at the time of his death in 1828 he was engaged to be married to Eliza Kirkbride of Philadelphia, afterwards the wife of James Gurney, the famous English traveling minister.
There are many howells mentioned:
Benjamin Betterton
Mrs. Benjamin
Colonel
Wnry @
John Ladd
Joseph
Joshua Ladd
Lewis
Mary H
Samuel E
Samuel Jr
Samuel Sr
Thomas R
William
William E
and Jones:
Benjamin,
Griffith,
Richard
Samuel H.

I didn't look up each of them, they may or may not be related to the family at Hanover.
All info from Boyer's Early Forges and Furnaces in New Jersey
Renee

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Thanks for all the info guys. I really do appriciate it. I am going to buy a copy of Charles Boyers book.

Tom

B

bach2yoga

Tom said:
Thanks for all the info guys. I really do appriciate it. I am going to buy a copy of Charles Boyers book.

Tom

It's a great book. So is his book on taverns and inns.
Renee

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Renee,

I just thought I would tell you that I bought that book on Abebooks. Thanks again for the information.

Tom

B

bach2yoga

Tom said:
Renee,

I just thought I would tell you that I bought that book on Abebooks. Thanks again for the information.

Tom

Sure! Hope you enjoy it!
I wrote you a lengthy reply to your PM, then one of the cats jumped on the keyboard and closed out my browser. :shock:
Darn cats! (what can I say, I love them anyway!) It's late (I fade after 9 or 10) so I'll get back to you in the a.m.

Renee