Lake Broyhill?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The Google map shows a mysterious "Lake Broyhill" on the map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.7...0.04215126192600849,0.07085752487182617&hl=en

It's also marked on the hybrid image, but doesn't seem to be there (anymore).

The photo and topo map on Terraserver don't show any such place:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=666&Y=5494&W=3

Also, the Google map shows "Devious Mt Rd," (zoom in farther to see the name) which is kind of a cool name, but the topo map calls it "Mount Sandy Ridge Rd."

Any ideas about all this?

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i just looked over "google earth" real well and didn't see anything that looked like low ground except for "penn swamp" close by.
maybe it was drained or just dissappeared due to a change in the water table.
given some lakes and ponds around here are very shallow or maybe just a mapping error ??

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well I'm wondering if it's one of those intentional errors that cartographers introduce into their maps for copyright reasons? In other words, Navtech (or whoever) might put a phoney Lake Broyhill there, then if they see it appear on somebody else's map they know it was copied from them.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when looking at the photos. Doesn't look like there ever was a lake there. But I'm still waiting for one of you guys to tell me about the big Lake Broyhill theme park that Disney was planning to build in Wharton State forest in 1960.... It wouldn't have been too far away from the new international airport and city at Bear Swamp Hill :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Geez, just looked at that old thread and I even commented about Lake Broyhill then although I'd completely forgotten about it. I am getting old...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
Geez, just looked at that old thread and I even commented about Lake Broyhill then although I'd completely forgotten about it. I am getting old...

Join the croud. That happens to me more often than I would like. My kids are even laughing at me more and more. :(

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Putting that info on a map when it actually is not there is pretty poor. I am pretty certain they did not do that on the old maps that are available on this site, but can you imagine if they did! We would be taking the maps at face value thinking a particular location was historically actually there when it wasn't. It just seems wrong to me.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I've read in a variety of places that this is an old tradition with cartographers. But generally I think it was limited to spelling things wrong and that sort of thing....

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Boyd,
As far as the Devious Mt and Mt. Sandy ridge roads are concerned, If you look at the Atsion quad of the USGS topo map you will see that the area known as Devious (upper rt. hand corner), which is a very cool area if you haven't been there, is fairly close to Sandy ridge rd. Actually Hampton Gate rd is closer but Sandy ridge intersects a little south. The road then moves southward to both Jemina mount and Mount. So that name makes sense. When it changed to Sandy ridge I don't know. eight years ago I broke down in the friendship bogs but fortunitly came across some hunters out in the woods. In conversation I refered to this road as Sandy ridge and he referred to it as something else which could have very well been Devious. He had been hunting in the area since the early sixties.

This Broyhill lake is quite a mystery. What adds to the mystery is that a body of water has to be pretty sizeable to be refferred to as a lake in the pine barrens. Ponds will disappear quite often, I have tracked down many ponds on the topo maps which turn out to be gone or vernal, but you can see that something was there. A lake dissapearing... something is very odd. It would be worth checking out the area for any evidence of a lake.

Jeff

Jeff

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
To me, there seems to be two feasible explanations.

#1. Lake broyhill never existed.

Perhaps it was a mapping error, intentional or not. Moreover, I can find no historical references to such a lake.

#2. The lake was located on the upper stretches of Bull creek, and when the dam was released, much of the water re-routed itself westwardly into the nearby Penn swamp branch of the Batsto and smaller tributary of the Batsto just south of it.

As interesting as I find the second explanation to be, I am inclined to go with the first.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
I'd say that the lake did exist, but ... one hot August night ... (much like this one will be ...) the air redolent of pine ... and glowing faintly, here-and-there, with swamp lights ... the Leed's Devil drank it up... and sucked the very sand dry ...

Sweet dreams, my little ones ...

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
Thank God for this site. "Lake Broyhill" showing up on my Garmin almost had me convinced I was on the wrong road yesterday.

I was traveling on Hampton Gate Road for the first time; I have a Garmin gps that showed me next to a body of water; except for the massive puddles in the road (a whole other subject), I couldn't find a lake; and my usgs topo map didn't show a lake. So I was wondering if I'm on the wrong road, and I keep looking on my map for a road nearby that passes a lake and can't find one. Then I got home and looked at google maps, and sure enough, there's the lake, Lake Broyhill. But it doesn't exist.

Probably just an elaborate ruse to confuse newbies....

Oct 25, 2006
Thank God for this site. "Lake Broyhill" showing up on my Garmin almost had me convinced I was on the wrong road yesterday.

I was traveling on Hampton Gate Road for the first time; I have a Garmin gps that showed me next to a body of water; except for the massive puddles in the road (a whole other subject), I couldn't find a lake; and my usgs topo map didn't show a lake. So I was wondering if I'm on the wrong road, and I keep looking on my map for a road nearby that passes a lake and can't find one. Then I got home and looked at google maps, and sure enough, there's the lake, Lake Broyhill. But it doesn't exist.

Probably just an elaborate ruse to confuse newbies....[/quote

Google maps and google earth have so many locations in the wrong place,it is amazing.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
LOL. Great link, Boyd.

On a more serious note, lake Broyhill does indeed exist. Pm me for coordinates. If I deem you worthy of knowing the location, I just might let you in on perhaps the greatest secret of the Pines.