Linking to online maps

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This has really bothered me for a long time and I just can't hold off saying it anymore. This is not directed at anyone in particular since it had been years that I have been thinking about this.

Please try and learn how to use the wonderful map Ben has provided us when asking questions or giving information on a particular location. We should not have to guess the location in question when it is so easy to drag a pointer to anyplace in the pines using maps from multiple years. Then copy the URL and paste it into your post. And if Ben's map for some reason does not have what you want use Google, Bing, or any other means to show us. And if all fails, please be creative and come up with a way to get a photo of the map into the post. All users of a Mac should know about "Grab" or Command Shift 3 or 4, and Windows users have to know about F14 for taking screenshots. Get the screenshot into the jpg or similar format and attach it to the post.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.64124&lng=-74.64671499999997&z=13&type=terrain&gpx=

Reactions: Spung-Man and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
All users of a Mac should know about "Grab"

The problem with Grab is that it only saves TIFF files, and the forum software won't recognize these. So I always ended up opening the screenshot in Photoshop and converting to JPG or PNG - kind of a pain. Then one day I noticed that you can also take screenshots with Preview (another program that is available on every Mac). Use File > Take Screenshot and you can choose full screen/window/selection. And you can also choose JPG, PNG, PDF, TIFF and a couple other file formats.

The only thing missing in Preview is the option to take a timed screenshot, so you might want to use Grab if you need to show a menu that is pulled down for example.

On Windows, I have been using the free version of Gadwin PrintScreen. It lets you configure the PrintScreen key for different things, such a taking a screenshot of an area that you select: http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/