Martha furnace question

Ms Oats

Scout
Aug 7, 2013
Bayville, NJ
Wasnt feeling well yesterday, so we just went for a ride, and as usual stumbled upon a place before we looked it up to see what it was- turns out it was Martha's furnace. I was reading some of the posts on here, and then others elsewhere on the internet, but I have a question maybe someone can answer? I understand fencing off the furnace ruins, but why cover them as well? Wouldn't one or the other have been sufficient? Seeing as there were probably homes of employees out there as well, there must be foundations buried, why not fence them in as well? What am I missing with this place?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There are other cellar holes out there and as to why they cover the furnaces I would guess to protect them from people stealing bricks which is why most old structures disappear.This is South Jersey and lack of natural building materials is common so any masonry left abandoned is likely to disappear.There are several furnaces down here in way south Jersey that have also been covered up. Looking at old photos of Hampton Furnace will show you how it has shrunk over the years from masonry thieves.Matter of fact someone on this forum caught a brick thief in action at Hampton.

Ms Oats

Scout
Aug 7, 2013
Bayville, NJ
interesting. well it is beautiful back there, there was a lot of people along the waters edge and i believe i saw coyote tracks too!

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
While Budd Wilson and gang were excavating the furnace (in the late 60's, I believe), some SOBs would come back there after hours and actually dismantle the furnace and steal the bricks. They decided the best way to protect the site would be to bury what remained. Unfortunate, but necessary.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
If you travel deeper into Bass River from Martha, it is as wild as the Pine Barrens get. There are pristine untouched wild areas that give the feeling of being somewhere else other than New Jersey. I am very fond of of that area and have no problem getting "lost"all day exploring the pine forest. There are many rarities that remain hidden to the less adventurous.