Mount Misery Brook

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Was driving down Savoy/Passadena road on Sunday. I was talking to my son about a small lake/pond over by Bullock. To my amazement it was completely dry. I have to admit I did not get around the pines much this summer due to a home renovation project. We got out and walked the entire outside perimeter and even crossed into the rear bog. There was some movement of water comming through a collasped bridge that runs parallel to the railroad. The bog appears to be very shallow overall and the rear bog was more wet and muddy. I can always remeber driving past this and noticing its reflective blue color. I noticed on Boyds Maps there are some bogs north of this area. Are they contolling the water flow or is it just that dry of a summer? While I was there I did see the broken state monument that Teegate mentioned. On the way back we drove past the beaver deciever and the water was barely crossing over the road.

https://boydsmaps.com/#16.00/39.878280/-74.450841/njgin2020/0.00/0.00

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is just dry.

That was called Newbold Bog but I doubt anyone calls it that now. It was owned at one time or another by Arthur Reeves, William Bryant and Anthony Bullock.

IMG_1549a.jpg

bullock.jpg

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Everything is so dry, it’s just doesn’t really rain anymore. Places by me that always had year round water in last 10 years are bone dry. I think we would need a few 12 inch plus snowstorms this winter just to get some areas filled up a little bit.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Boyd I would agree that the actual numbers don’t seem that off. However, in looking at wetlands, I’ve never seen them so low or in many cases completely dry.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Could it be related to other factors? Record high temperatures? Increased use of water for agriculture/development? If the foliage is getting denser, would that suck up more water?