Nationwide Public Lands Interactive Map

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is interesting Al. It's a good starting point though, as it gives the ownership when clicked on (at least on the ones I clicked on, maybe only federal).

This one from the state is similar, and you can flip it to see the property borders.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ok I found the opacity slider,now I can see through the overlay!
Oh yeah, that works quite well. State does not have that.

1706454013297.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was looking for a nationwide map since I"m starting to look at relocation places when I retire and I want a place where theres lots of public land to keep me from the temptation of trespassing. Too old to run now and too old to fight so I"m trying to behave but I need a lot of woods to get into.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Got ya. But my point was, that site may not show all public openspace in any given area. Trying to understand the pattern in the screenshot above. The Great Egg Harbor River WMA is only partially shown on the US map, for example. Maybe new acquisitions and/or consolidation of smaller properties into an existing WMA? But I didn't look at all the options, maybe the map changes when you click All Managed Areas? Didn't try that.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Revisiting this thread since I'm currently working on larger versions of my maps that cover the whole Northeast US region. I need openspace data for all those states and it's a real run-around trying to find it on individual state websites. So, this looks like a very good option for getting all the data in one place. You can download the current Protected Area Database (PAD) here

I downloaded the full US file, but it's absolutely huge and almost impossible to work with. After 30 minutes, my GIS program still hadn't loaded the whole thing, so I gave up. But you can download individual state versions here and they work well, so that's what I'm using.

There's a lot of data here and I need to study more carefully, because not everything on these maps is actually *public* openspace. I think it also includes areas that *should* be protected in some way, so I will need to filter this kind of thing out before creating my maps. This is from the metadata:

"The PAD-US geodatabase was originally developed to organize and assess the management status of elements of biodiversity protection by identifying species and plant communities not adequately represented in existing conservation lands."

Here's an example of the attrbutes available from a portion of Wharton State Forest, for example

wharton.png

But this is also part of the database, and not someplace you can wander around. :)

ac.png

Anyway, this may not be useful to anyone else, but thought I'd post here for future reference. The data is supplied as ArcGIS GDB files, so you would need software capable of opening those kinds of files to utilize these downloads.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Note: I deleted three off-topic posts about AC International Airport from this thread and put them into a new thread in the Land Use Issues forum here.

I just randomly clicked on a couple properties to use as an example of what's in the database. I used examples from NJ just because they would be more familiar. But NJ already has very comprehensive openspace data, so you don't really need that database if you're only interested in the Pines.

As Al posted above, he's interested in this database for researching public openspace in other states. The point I was trying to make was that you need to be careful because not everything in the database is open to the public. There are 986,000 properties in the Northeast US portion of the database that I downloaded. Only 265,000 of those are specifically flagged as being open to the public. Aside from the ones that are marked as being closed to the public, there's a huge number that show "unknown" access rights. It will take a fair amount of research to determine their real status.

Last edited: