Land clearing near AC international airport

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I see it mentions AC airport. Did you see what they are doing down there? They cut forest all the way to the Parkway. Must be expanding runway space.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I see it mentions AC airport. Did you see what they are doing down there? They cut forest all the way to the Parkway. Must be expanding runway space.
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I noticed that a couple of weeks ago too. Does anyone know what is happening down there?

They plan on putting a housing development on that recently denuded swath of land. There's already complaints from people living near the project due to the smell of the neighboring waste plant wafting over the area.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
They plan on putting a housing development on that recently denuded swath of land. There's already complaints from people living near the project due to the smell of the neighboring waste plant wafting over the area.
Wait, maybe I'm wrong. I assumed it's at the eastern edge of the AC International airport runway. I'll pay better attention when I go past this week.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Apparently, this? Doesn't sound like a "housing development", more along the lines of commercial/industrial although it does say "mixed use".

This is interesting...

"IRG’s background made the established, national developer a well-suited selection for the project. As a leader in the conversion and privatization of federal properties, including closed military bases, IRG owns and is master developer of three closed military bases, a former NASA manufacturing facility and a closed Veterans Affairs site."

(I can't read this one without a subscription)

Exactly where is this? Next to the reservoir? Not really seeing any 400 acre parcels here, do you think it is getting split off the big 2600 acre FAA parcel? Or maybe it's a couple smaller parcels combined?

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#14/39.445915/-74.545431/parcels07/0/0/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
OK, answering some of my own questions... That first article says the 400 acre development is in "the northwest corner of Atlantic City International Airport". That doesn't sound like something that would involve clearing trees by the parkway, I wouldn't think you could even see it from the parkway, it must be somewhere around here. That land is owned by the US Govt

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#15/39.469540/-74.584956/parcels07/0/0/

That article also says, "The project is being called mixed-use, but it will include only industrial and air-related development — not residential or retail — according to a spokesperson for California-based IRG, one of the largest industrial real estate developers in the nation."

So... is there also a plan for a housing development on the east side of the airport?

Apparently, this? Doesn't sound like a "housing development", more along the lines of commercial/industrial although it does say "mixed use".

This is interesting...

"IRG’s background made the established, national developer a well-suited selection for the project. As a leader in the conversion and privatization of federal properties, including closed military bases, IRG owns and is master developer of three closed military bases, a former NASA manufacturing facility and a closed Veterans Affairs site."

(I can't read this one without a subscription)

Exactly where is this? Next to the reservoir? Not really seeing any 400 acre parcels here, do you think it is getting split off the big 2600 acre FAA parcel? Or maybe it's a couple smaller parcels combined?

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#14/39.445915/-74.545431/parcels07/0/0/
It runs just east of Westcoat Rd. in EHT.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That would be here? Definitely not the same thing as the articles I posted. Did not find anything about this with a quick search

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#14/39.429906/-74.551868/hybrid/0/0/

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 10.36.57 AM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Did not find anything about this with a quick search

This must be it. Again, I can't read without a subscription but before it blocked me, it looked like exactly what you described. Something completely different from the other project, a housing development by D R Horton. This parcel is about the right size (174 acres) but there's no data for it.

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#15/39.427420/-74.548220/parcels07/0/0/

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This must be it. Again, I can't read without a subscription but before it blocked me, it looked like exactly what you described. Something completely different from the other project, a housing development by D R Horton. This parcel is about the right size (174 acres) but there's no data for it.

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#15/39.427420/-74.548220/parcels07/0/0/

Yeah, that must be it. In my mind I saw it right before the resevoir on my right while heading south. I was just off.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
WOW, a 657 unit housing development. They are building in any spot they can. It seems they never build developments with smaller or medium sized houses anymore. Everything by me that is new starts in the $600,000 + category. Can't tell you the last time I saw a developer build a ranch style house.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
WOW, a 657 unit housing development. They are building in any spot they can. It seems they never build developments with smaller or medium sized houses anymore. Everything by me that is new starts in the $600,000 + category. Can't tell you the last time I saw a developer build a ranch style house.
True, and that is just wrong to let them do that.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Look at the current prices in Medford now. Insane. They are really over-priced. Foreigners and businesses are behind this. Avg rent over $3K per month. An article touting Medford as the place to live in south jersey did not help.

Zoom in a click or two.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I bought my home on Atsion Rd for around $240,000 in 2002, solid it in 2006 for about $300,000. Just looked at your Zillow link, it's not on the market now but estimated value is around $440,000. Not really sure how I feel about that, was actually surprised that it wasn't higher.