New Map

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

Could the map be copied in sections on a color (if color is important) flat bed copier, taped together, then copied as on the Kinko machine? Or, could the map be photographed and then printed. I have a 10mp camera now. :D

Steve

He did copy it on a scanner in sections, but that is not the same as having it scanned in full. And as for the camera.... I have taken quite a few photo's with a camera, and it just does not bring the maps to life like a true scan does.

I guess we should just wait until Tom gives us his opinion on all of this.

Guy

Jerseyman,
Thank you for the response. I figured it was a spelling issue. A lot of the info that you gave I've got penned down but your provision of small yet important details is always a welcome addition.
Often, the details make the tale worth telling.

G.

Well--you're welcome, LARGO. I only provided a brief summary of the information I have here on Fleming. There is so much more to the story, including the published court proceedings involving his father and his creditors. The text contains wonderful descriptive information on the nickel refinery!!

Best,
Jerseyman

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Jerseyman,

Thanks for the information. You have done quite a bit of research. Your point about Richard not having any relation to the founders of the Florence City Corp makes alot of sense.

While Boyer's book claims that Richard organized the New Jersey Exploration and Mining Company (later the New Jersey Zinc Company). Another book I have seen (a genealogical book published in 1911 - the name of the book escapes me, but it was something along the lines of New Jersey and the Men that made a State) states that Richard organized the New Jersey Zinc Company, which was the merger of two companies (New Jersey Exploration and Mining Company, which was mostly interested in Iron and The Sussex Zinc and Copper Mining and Manufacturing Corporation (perhaps he was part of this company?).

In my research I had come across a claim that Benjamin Jones had at one time owned or had an ownership interest in the Franklin Furnace in Sussex. Interestingly, one of the owners of that furnace was also one of the officers of the New Jersey Exploration and Mining Company - Samuel Fowler.

It is odd that two seperate sources claim Richard was an organizer of one of the companies. I don't believe that the Samuel T. Jones is really Samuel H. Jones. S.H. Jones is listed on the 1850 census as living with his family in the middle ward of Phildadelphia.

What drew your interest in the Florence City Co. and the Mining and Exploration Co? You sure have done quite a bit of research on the subjects and any other information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

As Guy said, Benjamin was my 5th great grandfather and Richard was my 4th. I have had a great time over the past four years piecing my family history together. And I welcome any and all information anyone has. I always thought that R.D. Wood purchased the Florence Works directly from Richard. It is interesting to hear that that wasn't the case.

As far as the map goes, it is 2' by 3'. It is now framed and under glass. At this point I wouldn't want to take it out of the frame. I had tried photographing it a while back, but I don't have a tripod or a very good camera, so it didn't work too well. It would be great if I could find a scanner/photocopier that I could lay it on in the frame, but it would need to handle documents 3' by 4'.

A 10mp camera would take a pretty good photo though. The trick would be maintaining the same distance, angle and then piecing it all together. I really would like to see it included in the map section of this website, though.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Guy and Tom:

How large is the map? I do have some ideas for copying it, but size is an issue.

BTW, Tom, do you any material on the Delaware & Atlantic Railroad? I have quite a bit of research in my files related to that line, but I am always looking for more--especially information from a family directly related to the operation!

Best,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman,

I don't have any information regarding the Delaware & Atlantic Railroad. I would be interested in what you might have, though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
It's a shame the quality is so bad...

Anyway, on a different subject, I recently came across a letter on ebay from Benjamin Jones to Isaac Townsend dated May of 1831. Needless to say, I bought it. I expect it to show up in the mail tomorrow or Friday. If anyone is interested I will post it.

Tom:

Please see below for my comments:

Jerseyman,

Thanks for the information. You have done quite a bit of research. Your point about Richard not having any relation to the founders of the Florence City Corp makes alot of sense.

While Boyer's book claims that Richard organized the New Jersey Exploration and Mining Company (later the New Jersey Zinc Company). Another book I have seen (a genealogical book published in 1911 - the name of the book escapes me, but it was something along the lines of New Jersey and the Men that made a State) states that Richard organized the New Jersey Zinc Company, which was the merger of two companies (New Jersey Exploration and Mining Company, which was mostly interested in Iron and The Sussex Zinc and Copper Mining and Manufacturing Corporation (perhaps he was part of this company?).

I'm really beginning to stack up state lawbooks here on my desk--but all for a good cause! I just checked the incorporation act of the Sussex Zinc and Copper Mining and Manufacturing Company and found the following incorporators:

Samuel Fowler, J. Elnathan Smith, Samuel T. Jones, James L. Curtis, John Fowler, William Ogilvie, Henry Wilkes, and Joseph Steele. So, again, no listing for Richard Jones.

In my research I had come across a claim that Benjamin Jones had at one time owned or had an ownership interest in the Franklin Furnace in Sussex. Interestingly, one of the owners of that furnace was also one of the officers of the New Jersey Exploration and Mining Company - Samuel Fowler.

A quick check of my notes and other research material failed to reveal any connection between Benjamin Jones and the Franklin Furnace, but I think I should take a more careful look sometime over the next couple of days.

It is odd that two seperate sources claim Richard was an organizer of one of the companies. I don't believe that the Samuel T. Jones is really Samuel H. Jones. S.H. Jones is listed on the 1850 census as living with his family in the middle ward of Phildadelphia.

Good to know that Samuel resided in Philadelphia. I was a bit doubtful myself that Samuel T. would translate into Samuel H.

What drew your interest in the Florence City Co. and the Mining and Exploration Co? You sure have done quite a bit of research on the subjects and any other information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Florence has fascinated me since the 1970s when I acquired my first post card of the grand classical revival hotel that once faced the Delaware River. The iron works has also long held my interest, so naturally that led to a desire to know more about the Jones family.

As Guy said, Benjamin was my 5th great grandfather and Richard was my 4th. I have had a great time over the past four years piecing my family history together. And I welcome any and all information anyone has. I always thought that R.D. Wood purchased the Florence Works directly from Richard. It is interesting to hear that that wasn't the case.

That information comes directly from an R.D. Wood & Company corporate history.

As far as the map goes, it is 2' by 3'. It is now framed and under glass. At this point I wouldn't want to take it out of the frame. I had tried photographing it a while back, but I don't had a tripod or a very good camera, so it didn't work to well. It would be great if I could find a scanner/photocopier that I could lay it on in the frame, but it would need to handle documents 3' by 4'.

A 10mp would take a pretty good photo though. The trick would be maintaining the same distance, angle and then piecing it all together. I really would like to see it included in the map section of this website, though.

If you can afford to put some money into the map, I suggest you seek the services of a professional conservator. The map is extremely rare and needs to be preserved for the future. The really expensive route for such conservation services is the Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts in Philadelphia. An alternative to the CCAHA is going to the Philadelphia Print Shop in Chestnut Hill, which offers quality conservator services at a fraction of the CCAHA costs. I don't know nor do I need to know your financial situation, but the map would really benefit from these services, which will include removing the individual sheets from the backing material, repairing any voids or defects in the paper, removing the varnish from the face of the map, and remounting the map on to a stable, archival backing using archival, inert adhesive.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Jerseyman,

The map has seen alot of use. When my ggreat grandfather got it he and Windfield Eldridge were using it to locate pieces of the the Hanover Tract to sell. Then it spent about 40 years folded up in a suitcase. Then, Elizabeth Morgan got in touch with my grandmother about the Furnace and the map furtunately made its way into a tube. Then I got it. I had it mended with linen document tape and put under UV glass with acid free backing. While the place I took it to said they did professional conservations, they were leary of trying to remove all of the tape for fear that the whole thing would fall apart or get damaged by the glue during the heating process. I am sure some place like the one you mentioned in Philly would be better equiped to do the job, as this place was in Burlington. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget for that right now, but at least it is flat and not being handled any longer.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It appears the proposed route of the Delaware & Raritan RR is significantly north of where it was actually built, North of Apple Pie Hill and running through Hampton Furnace. BTW the MrSid viewer is really nice.

Does anyone know when the RR was built?

Ed

It appears the proposed route of the Delaware & Raritan RR is significantly north of where it was actually built, North of Apple Pie Hill and running through Hampton Furnace. BTW the MrSid viewer is really nice.

Does anyone know when the RR was built?

Ed

Ed:

Despite the best efforts of the monopolistic Camden & Amboy Railroad to "derail" passage of the act to incorporate the Raritan & Delaware Bay Railroad, the bill gained approval in 1854. Flying in the face of the monopoly's gerrymandering and politicking, a rising anti-monopoly sentiment softened the hearts of some lawmakers and the bill passed. This bill and several amendments established the general routing of the railroad, hence its appearance on the 1858 Burlington County map. William Torrey, owner of the Manchester Tract, packaged the proposed railroad as part of a grand "Norfolk Air Line" between New York and the south. As stated in the act, the original routing would take it east of the right-of-way actually constructed and travel all the way down to Cape May, passing through Egg Harbor City and Mays Landing on a tangential line. Under the proposed "Air Line," train ferry service would operate between Cape May and Lewes, Delaware and another section of the "Air Line" would go on down the Delmarva Peninusla to Cape Charles, where train ferry service would operate to Norfolk, providing connections to points south and west.

Torrey held a grand groundbreaking for the line in Port Monmouth during May 1856, but land acquisition problems and chronic under capitalization caused the construction crews to start and stop their work. Rails finally arrived in April 1859 from England. With seccession fears looming in the south, dooming the "Air Line" concept, and a lack of funding, a desperate Torrey attempted to offer the new railroad to the Camden & Amboy, but they shunned any overtures. So in 1861, the R&DB made a fateful decision to change its route and move it westward towards Philadelphia. The construction crews, building south from Manchester (Lakehurst), veered westward towards Atsion. Under an agreement signed during October 1861, the R&DB agreed to build the Camden & Atlantic's proposed Batsto Branch, linking the two railroads between Jackson Junction, near Atco, and Atsion. The other section of the Batsto Branch east of Atsion, though surveyed, never became a reality. By August, the track gangs had reached Hampton, four miles above Atsion and trains operated as far as Jones Mill (Chatsworth). By the middle of August 1862, the portion of the Batsto Branch between Jackson and Atsion became operational and service into Camden began on 20 August 1862.

Ultimately, the change of route and the service to Camden would be the undoing of the R&DB as the monopoly brought suit against the railroad following the Civil War. The Camden & Amboy won, bankrupting the R&DB, which company reorganized with the infamous Jay Gould at the helm. In 1878, the R&DB, now known as the New Jersey Southern, became part of the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The section of track from Atsion south to Bayside began life as the Vineland Railway, constructed as part of the Charles K. Landis growing empire. Landis also relinquished control to Gould and his syndicate subsequent to the line reaching Atsion in October 1870.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

relayer

Explorer
As some of you doubtless noticed, the top third of the map image is blurred. I contacted the LOC about it and checking the scan themselves, they found that there was indeed a problem. They are going to re-scan the map (sorry, they didn't say when) so that it is all in focus. Our tax dollars at work in a refreshingly responsible manner.

relayer

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As some of you doubtless noticed, the top third of the map image is blurred. I contacted the LOC about it and checking the scan themselves, they found that there was indeed a problem. They are going to re-scan the map (sorry, they didn't say when) so that it is all in focus. Our tax dollars at work in a refreshingly responsible manner.

relayer

Thanks relayer. At first I thought it was my bifocals :)

Guy