Not too sure where this is

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
The past few weeks I've been trying to find the sites of Old Half Way, Union Clay Works, and Red Oak Grove. I don't really know if I'm looking in the right area or not. On one of our trips, we decided to go straight instead of making that 2nd right. Down the road a bit we saw this stuff just under the trees....look like chimneys to me. They also remind me a bit of the pillars you find on and around Apple Pie Hill.
Does anyone know if this was somewhere significant or if I managed to find one of those 3 places without realizing it?

Just off the main trail
Terra cotta shards, I think
What is it?

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Without a good look at a map of where you were, it is hard to tell the locality you found. There were several small homes in and around the Red Oak Grove area, which originally rested south of the Union Clay Works. The exact location for the "town center" changed at least twice during the regions history. I had submitted an article to Ben about this area, but don't think he ever put it on the site. Perhaps it got lost in hyperspace. If you would like a re-post of the ROG history, let me know.
Scott W

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
sorry, I did not mean to write Union Clay Works, but Old Half Way. ROG was south of OHW, and slightly NW of Union Clay. In fact, Union Clay and ROG overlapped at one point.

sorry for the mix-up

scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu,

You need to use topozone or terraserver to give us a map as Scott mentioned.

Guy

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I'll get the coords next time I head out that way. It's right on that main trail though; probably can't see it from the road now because of the grass. I visited the site of Old Half Way today (got its coords), and the photos are definitely not of it. This is roughly a mile from it. By the way, is there nothing left at Old Half Way? I couldn't see anything because of the overgrowth. Signs said that section was restricted as well. Red Oak Grove was inaccessible too, due to puddles that my Cavalier would probably get stuck in. I'm sure my Bronco II would've made it, but she died in January. :(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have driven there in my car 50 times, and have never noticed a puddle. I was even there when the snow was 6 inches deep and had no problem. I will not be in the area for quite a few weeks so I can't check it out.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu,

The best way to get to Red Oak Grove and Union Clay Works where you don't have to worry about water, is entering on the road next to Barnegat Wreckers on 72. If you are coming in from Old Half Way there is one road that I seem to remember that had water on it.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4406697.00011492 &e=551070.000000005&u=7&datum=nad83

You can also enter from 539 at this location and not have a problem.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4409765.00011503&e=553032.000000006&datum=nad83&u=7

Guy

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I got the coords for ROG from Topozone, I think. Yeah, I was coming from Old Half Way. From Union I went straight. The 'main' road turns to the left, but there is a smaller one that continues forward. I took that and the puddle took up the entire road.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
From Union I went straight. The 'main' road turns to the left, but there is a smaller one that continues forward. I took that and the puddle took up the entire road.

Ben,

I think he came from Old Half Way and passed Union Clay Works, and tried to take that little road that we were walking on when Steve came and scared the heck out of Jessica. :)

If this is correct Stu, you need to turn left on the main road when you meet the smaller one, and then your first right on another main road, and that takes you to ROG. That will also take you to 72 the opposite way I mentioned to enter from.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The coordinates for Red Oak Grove on Topozone are wrong.

This is the right one, which was taken right at a cellar hole, I believe:

N 39.8321
W 74.4063

The road bends around a bit in that area. If you're coming from the Union Clay direction, it will be on your left hand side. It's one of my favorite cellar holes in the pines, because there is just something really, really nice about the location. I just picture a horse & buggy turning down the lane, and a nice whitewashed cabin standing there in the woods - maybe a garden out front, etc. Sounds like paradise to me.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I noticed I was pretty close to 72 on my GPS' map. I thought maybe there was another way going left, but after picking off....I dunno how many ticks....from walking the Clay Works, I pretty much just wanted to go home. I found a great trail behind the Works riddled with bricks and terra cotta....pipes, I'm guessing, 2 of which were still nearly complete. Great discoveries, not so great bugs.