Parker Preserve, Bald Eagle reservoir

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We decided rather than brave the insanity in Wharton this week that we would instead explore the Parker Preserve. Thursday morning we entered at South Gate and headed west on the white trail. Much of this area has been left in it's natural state, flooded, and is easier on the eyes than what greets you at NorthGate.

This is a scan of a map that is sometimes available at the gates. I is particularly useful in that it shows impassible breaches in the dikes.

A large flooded bog is called Bald Eagle Reservoir. It appears to be untouched since the DeMarco era.

An island.

There is an observation tower built on top of an old pump house.

A very nice pair of binoculars.

There are also benches and picnic tables scattered around the area. We hiked it in sneakers and got wet crossing one of the keyboard spill ways. It was not above the ankles so a good pair of hiking shoes should be fine, or you could just get wet, it wasn't bad.
A key board spill way.

In 3 days of hiking there we did not see another person. On Tuesday we found the suspension bridge. It is a substantial piece of work, and is fun to walk across. I will go back with a camera and post later.

Ed

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is my favorite section of the preserve. The Eagles should be starting to work on their nest soon, if they haven't already. Might get out there on Sunday if we don't head out to find the snowy owl.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We went back here today for a hike and picnic. We picnicked on the observation tower by the Bald Eagle Reservoir. There is a picnic table and spotting scope on top. Lots of people out today. Turtles and birds. I helped one quarter size red belly across the road to the bog for which he was heading. There used to be a foot bridge here which fell apart.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78705513344898&lng=-74.55693609985349&z=16&type=nj2007&gpx=

It has been replaced with a new one that they deem unsafe.
P1030703s.JPG

The railings are wobbly, "unsafe".
P1030700s.JPG

Despite being founded with Rail Road Tracks.
P1030701s.JPG

Here is an old friend, The deer House.
P1030705s.JPG

It is still in use and 100 feet near by a deer blind.
P1030707s.JPG

It was a nice day to be out.
Ed

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess me leaving to door open years ago did not hurt it.