Parker Preserve, Southgate

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
On Nov 3rd I met Tony, Gloria, Marianne, Bella, Buffy at the Southgate of the Parker Preserve east of 563 for a picnic and explore. The entrance, Southgate, is 2.9 miles south of Chatsworth. Others have posted pictures of this area and we wanted to see it for ourselves. We met at Southgate at 11:00; I bought hoagies at Mighty Joe’s in Shamong earlier in the morning. Some highlights we wanted to see were the southern boundary of the Preserve, an old dam and a lean too. At the start of our hike we meet a volunteer who told us that the lean too belonged to a group of teachers and is referred to as The Teachers Cabin.
Our track.

The southern boundary, it is private property south of here and is well maintained.
[/url]
The old concrete dam near the southern boundary.

The reservoir the dam creates.

Some HDR fun.

The Teacher’sCabin.

The hoagies were great.
It appears the cabin once had a stove, note the hole in the wall. I used to canoe past here in the early 70's and never noticed the cabin.

The reason I took so long to post this is because I lost my camera there chasing my dog who was chasing a deer. I spent many hours looking and yesterday I finally I got into the track log of my GPS and figured out where it happened. The camera does not work yet, maybe when it dries out, but the SD card is fine.
Overall a very nice day. BTW, the volunteer we meet earlier pointed out the location of our next hike, the suspension bridge.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report Ed. That is a really great area and it is nice to see you were able to visit it.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Ed, The white GMC pickup parked by you when you left was mine. I walked down to Gentian curve and was surprised to see some still blooming.