Parker Preserve suspension bridge

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yesterday we took lunch to a nice picnic spot on the Wading River. There are many benches, some with tables scattered around the preserve. This spot is near the bridge.

The bridge is on the red trail. We took the green trail to stay out of the woods but the two trails join at the bridge so it is easy to find. It is a substantial bit of engineering and it has a strange wave motion as you cross it.

The bridge is located here:
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.799766244499196&lng=-74.54341650009155&z=16&type=h&gpx=

The preserve is quite a contrast to Wharton, no ruts, bad roads and trash. We will be spending alot more time exploring there.

Ed

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see you made it there Ed. You had mentioned going there and I am glad you found it.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Ed
Does that bridge cross the wading itself? Been planning on trying to canoe it down from chatsworth lake as you said you did.That bridge would be a liftover if it crosses the river

No Al, it crosses a canal that drains the bogs into the Wading. That canal has as much flow as the Skit and could be paddled if you could get a kayak in there.
I would also like to kayak from Chatsworth Lake. I think it is very doable to 563 and also to the lower boundary of Parker, near the concrete dam, but from there to Speedwell it is not really a river as such. It fans out into the brush with no defined channel.
I've done it many times before, with no stinking GPS, I don't know how, but I was in my early 20's. I will scout it out more and post on it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
No Al, it crosses a canal that drains the bogs into the Wading. That canal has as much flow as the Skit and could be paddled if you could get a kayak in there.
I would also like to kayak from Chatsworth Lake. I think it is very doable to 563 and also to the lower boundary of Parker, near the concrete dam, but from there to Speedwell it is not really a river as such. It fans out into the brush with no defined channel.
I've done it many times before, with no stinking GPS, I don't know how, but I was in my early 20's. I will scout it out more and post on it.
Thanks Ed,waiting for the report!.That would be a long haul out from the concrete dam.have to be a kayak,canoe way too heavy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
my canoe weighs about 70 lbs.too heavy for me to drag a mile.I do have a portage rack and I've mad .75 mile portages over small hills with it but would rather drag a kayak.My yak is maybe 35 lbs

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
mine is aluminum and tough as steel and quite heavy for an aluminum boat.I can swing it over my head but the older I get the barder it gets and my shoulder isn't quite ready for it yet.The yak is a wilderness systems cape lookout 135 touring boat.16 ft.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
mine is aluminum and tough as steel and quite heavy for an aluminum boat.I can swing it over my head but the older I get the barder it gets and my shoulder isn't quite ready for it yet.The yak is a wilderness systems cape lookout 135 touring boat.16 ft.

I was going to get a roller rack for the 73lber, but eventually decided it would still be a pain launching and carrying.

The 10', 16lb Hornbeck, double paddled. Builders picture. I bought it used.

photos8.jpg

The 15'8", 38lb Swift, builders picture. Bought new with all the goodies. Works equally well tandem or solo.

Mattawa1_1_fs.jpg