Parker Preserve (water, water not quite everywhere)

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Wednesday, I walked on the red trail at Parker Preserve. I entered on the right side and went counter-clockwise along the trail.

The most notable thing was that the wetlands in the first couple of miles (in the area of the observation tower) were nearly drained of water.

Usually, the view from this bench is more scenic:
20231108_PP red_dry view from bench.png

20231108_PP red ob tower view .png

Once I got past the northwest quadrant of the trail, there was more water to be seen:
20231108__PP red_bog.png

I also saw these mushrooms. They reminded me of pieces of cracker or roll.
20231108_PP mushrooms.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Tryiing to remember.... wasn't one of their goals to get rid of the bogs/lakes and try to restore the streams that used to flow through there before it was developed for agriculture?

Reactions: M1 Abrams

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tryiing to remember.... wasn't one of their goals to get rid of the bogs/lakes and try to restore the streams that used to flow through there before it was developed for agriculture?
More of a mish-mash. I think Ducks unlimited (or some such) gave advice on what should be a resevoir and what should be a stream. They used machinery to dig pot holes in many of the bogs to mimic when it was more of a cedar swamp. I'm sure someone knowing more than I will chime in.

Reactions: M1 Abrams and Boyd

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
On a non-water related subject, I was looking at pictures from the red trail in January. I found a picture of the remains of a cinder block building a couple of miles down the trail if you go counterclockwise.

20230114_PP red_remains cinder blk bldg.png

Wednesday, it looked like this:
20231108_PP red_cinder blk ruins.png

• Wow
Reactions: stiltzkin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On a non-water related subject, I was looking at pictures from the red trail in January. I found a picture of the remains of a cinder block building a couple of miles down the trail if you go counterclockwise.

View attachment 21196

Wednesday, it looked like this:
View attachment 21197

I would think if the NJCF was demolishing it they would have removed the building. That leaves only one alternative :rolleyes:

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
It’s extremely dry and most wetland areas has not recovered since last year. Most dry ponds and reservoirs are extremely low. We need a substantial amount of precipitation to get things to flow again.

Reactions: M1 Abrams and Boyd