Pine Barren Tree Frog Hunt

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have found them in trees a few times,never more then seven feet off the ground though.Most of the time they are in the water or inches above it.They are great at shutting up for long periods as you get close to your chosen target.Then another group will provoke you into abandoning that area and follow them.This can go on for hours if you let it.Persevere on your chosen target and you will succeed.I use the ear cupping trick to zero in on them and do remember they are quite small.The first one I find every year I am amazed at how small they are to make such a big sound.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
There isn't another species of frog in the pines that produces a call that sounds similar to the "wonka-wonka-wonka" call of the PB tree frog is there?

I have heard that call midday in Stafford Forge and in Parker Preserve in the past few weeks. It wasn't a single call but a small chorus both times. I wasn't sure if these frogs were only active during the evening hours. I will add that at the time it was a dreary rainy day and that could be why I heard their songs.

The only one that I can think of that sounds similar is the gree tree frog (Hyla Cinerea), which is not historically established in NJ, but they have found isolated populations here in different spots, namely in Salem County.

Article: http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/b...-green-treefrog-found-in-southern-new-jersey/

This is a vid of the PBTF calling:

And this is a green tree frog calling:

Did the unknown call that you referred to sound like the latter?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Other vocalizations for frogs that may be calling now in that area (for process of elimination):

Carpenter frog-this call sounds slightly sped up, for some reason:

Bull frog:

Green frog:

Southern leopard frog:

Spring peeper:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was going to say Green treefrog because I have camped down south and heard them and they are similar but I was not aware they occurred this far north.Had never heard of Salem county green treefrogs.They look like PB,s without the extra colors thrown in.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Did the unknown call that you referred to sound like the latter?

Chile, I am almost certain that I heard PBTFs. The call I heard sounded exactly like the frog in your first video and several other videos I have found. I have never heard the PBTFs calling so early in the day and thought that I may have had the call confused with another species.