Pole Bridge

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

It has been a while since I have been in the pines even though in various ways I have been working on things that will be fruitful in the future. With that said, we headed out early as usual and our first stop was to visit a place I recently learned of. With this I will give a little history lesson. The road from Batsto to Leektown (Route 542) is called Batsto Bridgeport Road, and you would think it has been there forever. However, before that road was built travelers in that area had to use a different route to go between those two locations. In doing so they crossed Pole Bridge. Here is a little snip-it from the Wharton Ledgers.

One of the Southerly lines of Joseph Wharton's lands is the road leading westwardly from Wading River (called Bridgeport) to where it crosses Cakes Spruto Branch, about 30 or 35 acres of the North part of this resurvey lies North of that road, which road also leads to Lower bank, Green Bank, Herman, Batsto, & etc.
The road now so traveled (542) leads through the Great Swamp a distance of more than ¾ of a mile. Before this comparatively modern road was made, there was a road that lead from Lewis Darnell's (who then lived at Bridgeport on the resurvey) (about 1795) up the “Ridge” on the East side of the Great Swamp, around the head of the swamp crossing at “Pole Bridge, “ thence down the West side of the swamp, passing the Job Week's place down the Mullicas where Eric Mullica lived and where Matthias Johnson lived and where the Johnson's and Cavileers have since lived and which is now called Lower Bank.

I have a map here that was made by Joseph Wharton's Surveyor Elijah Wright, and using it I determined that this particular Pole Bridge was located off of Ridge Road and we went there today to look around.

The map showing Pole Bridge, Job Week's Farm, and the road intersections. Compare them with the modern aerial below it where I show the same road intersections and the outline of Job Week's Farm. This is on Seaf Weeks Road.

pole_bridge.jpg

job_weeks.jpg

Unfortunately, after what seemed like forever pushing our way through some really serious briers, we found no evidence of any old road or bridge at the location shown. There is nothing at all there except desolation.

Jessica on the way there.

IMG_6649.JPG

She died on a little island nearby.

IMG_6664.JPG

So we left Ridge Road and headed over to Seaf Weeks Road to look for another stone on the Job Week's property line. Al and I had been there before and reported on our previous finds. Today, Jessica and I walked the state line and eventually came to the location of where we hoped to find a stone. We were successful.

IMG_6676.JPG

You may have noticed in the above aerial map that there is a small tract of land deep in the woods in that area which is still private. The Wharton survey team in the 1950's somehow missed that piece of property and thought it was state land. It is obvious that sometime at a later date it was determined that the state did not own the land and the state has recognized it as private. Today we traveled there to check out the edges of the property, and on state land nearby we found a trash dump from many years ago.

IMG_6677.JPG

Jessica went bowling. I can guarantee her throw did not knock down anything......not even a stick.

IMG_6678.JPG

Ready To Eat Smoked Sausages. Yum!

IMG_6680.JPG

And right on the edge of that property we found an old farm truck. I would assume it was some sort of bog at one time.

IMG_6681.JPG

There is a duck blind in the middle of the property.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qm...1.1398944448560806&sty=b&rtp=adr.~adr.&mode=W

Finally, if you have three minutes you can view this edited video of me cutting a tree that was crossing a road that I wanted to get down today. Jessica seemed to enjoy it and maybe you will also. It makes me look pretty idiotic.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica said I need to gain weight if I want to keep doing that.

I have to say that as I get older my balance is fading fast. Just a few years ago I could have walked up that tree backwards. If I lean my head back just a little bit now I find myself falling.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looks like you made up for lost time in the pines with that trip. :) That old survey is really interesting - who (or what) was "Cakes Spruto"? Another strange name in the pines. Thanks for posting!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Jessica said I need to gain weight if I want to keep doing that.

I have to say that as I get older my balance is fading fast. Just a few years ago I could have walked up that tree backwards. If I lean my head back just a little bit now I find myself falling.

Guy

Guy, you have A.G.E. disease. My brother Tom M and I both have it. The main symptom is your mind say's "I can do this", and your body says "no you can't, not any more" :).
Greg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, you have A.G.E. disease. My brother Tom M and I both have it. The main symptom is your mind say's "I can do this", and your body says "no you can't, not any more" :).
Greg

Good one Greg :dance:

My grandfather had terrible balance, and when going to the bathroom he would always put his hand forward on the wall. I can remember my grandmother complaining about the hand prints he would always leave and how many times she had to wash the wall. As he got older he would constantly fall over backwards for no reason at all.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like you made up for lost time in the pines with that trip. :) That old survey is really interesting - who (or what) was "Cakes Spruto"? Another strange name in the pines. Thanks for posting!

It is a branch of a stream. I have been trying to find a map that shows it but as of yet I have not. I have viewed it so I will have it for you.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This shows Cakes Spruto. It may not be called that anymore.

cs.jpg

Guy

It is a branch of a stream. I have been trying to find a map that shows it but as of yet I have not. I have viewed it so I will have it for you.

Guy

Boyd and Guy:

Here is Doc Bisbee’s entry for Cakes Spruto:

CAKES SPRUTO (Washington Township). A small mill stream which flows sout into Mullica River just west of Lower Bank. The mouth of Cakes Spruto “upon which Samuel Weeks saw mill formerly stood,” is fixed as a boundary point in the formation of Randolph Township when it was removed from Washington Township in 1870.
Named prior to 1713 in a survey, this strangely named stream is spelled Cakes Sprater. It is again cited in a 1759 survey. In this same year “the pond at the head of Cakesproots” is noted. Road returns of 1808 spell name Caky Sprater.
Weeks Sawmill is listed on the 1850 map. Mr. Ronald Hill, who operates a cranberry bog at Bull Town, claims a gristmill was also located on the stream. When pressed for proof he said, “I helped my Daddy remove the stones!”
Most place name experts this writer consulted suggested that “Cakesproot” is an Indian word.
Origin. Any place named along the Mullica River mentioned as early as 1713 may possibly be associated with Swedish settlers. No settler with this obviously Swedish name can be found in the surveys, or archives but, according to Leah Blackman, Joseph Cake, Jr., married Helena Cranmer of Little Egg Harbor around 1758. Assuming the word to be a person’s name, one would suppose that the stream should be called “Cake’s Spruto.” There is a Swedish word “Spruts” used in the same sense of “to sprout out water.” A literal translation would be, “Cake’s Spring.”
(pp. 45-46)

Bisbee, Henry W.
1971 Sign Posts: Place Names in History of Burlington County, N.J. Alexia Press, Incorporated, Willingboro, New Jersey.

Here is a detail from the 1849 Otley and Whiteford map referenced in the quotation above:

Cakes_Spruto_1849.jpg

Otley, J.W. and R. Whiteford
1849 Map of Burlington County. Sith & Wistar, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

If anyone possesses other interpretations of this toponym, I would be happy to hear about it.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well done Jerseyman! It adds to our knowledge of the area.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

My grandfather had terrible balance, and when going to the bathroom he would always put his hand forward on the wall. I can remember my grandmother complaining about the hand prints he would always leave and how many times she had to wash the wall. As he got older he would constantly fall over backwards for no reason at all.

Guy

The loss of balance usually accompanies a loss of hearing. Ever since the hearing in my right ear went out I walk in circles. It does have its benefits though; when driving I no longer can hear the 'navigator' screaming instructions :) Makes a roadtrip go much smoother.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

Guy

Guy
My uncle was just diagnosed with a disease I believe is called spodulosa palsey.the first and major symotm is falling over backwards which he does frequently.also laughing and crying for no reason which he is doing now,also becoming mad for no reason and having long fits of not talking which he does.also memory loss eventually and gradual paralysis eventually but it may take years.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy
My uncle was just diagnosed with a disease I believe is called spodulosa palsey.the first and major symotm is falling over backwards which he does frequently.also laughing and crying for no reason which he is doing now,also becoming mad for no reason and having long fits of not talking which he does.also memory loss eventually and gradual paralysis eventually but it may take years.
Al

I guess I don't have it so bad after all.

Guy