Property Stones And More... Fall 2022/ Winter Spring 2023

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That is a beautiful piece of cedar swamp seldom seen by anyone but a few hunters every now and again. The extensive dike work is amazing back there and is something that has always fascinated me because of the time period during which the bogs were built.

We found two tree stands that don't look they have been used in several years but we did find whole cob corn in a lot of random places. We found no evidence of a corn pile anywhere. The most direct access to this public land from other public land is the way we came by crossing the stream. Other than that, you could walk along the south side of the Pump Branch, starting at Miller's Bog but that would be nearly a mile of swamp busting. The only other choice is through private property to the south.

Last edited:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That is a beautiful piece of cedar swamp seldom seen by anyone but a few hunters every now and again. The extensive dike work is amazing back there and is something that has always fascinated me because of the time period during which the bogs were built.

We found two tree stands that don't look they have been used in several years but we did find whole cob corn in a lot of random places. We found no evidence of a corn pile anywhere. The most direct access to this public land from other public land is the way we came by crossing the stream. Other than that, you could walk along the south side of the Pump Branch, starting at Miller's Bog but that would be nearly a mile of swamp busting. The only other choice is through private property to the south.
It’s funny you say that about the corn. Last time I was in that area there was whole cobs scattered around.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This morning I met up with RednekF350 to look for more of the possible property stones along the Pump Branch. Since Scott has been exploring that area for years we teamed up to cross the stream to look for three stones in particular.

After crossing we followed an old dike most surely made many years ago to build cranberry bogs. The going was tough in some area's and when arriving at the first and second locations we were treated with this. You can't see it but the dike makes a 90 degree turn right there and we agreed this was where we wanted to be. However, we could not see anything.
I acquired the deeds today and there is no mention of a stone at any of the corners as far as I can tell. It is hard to read if it is a stake or a stone. So the stone I found was obviously placed there after the 1857 and 1868 date.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I acquired the deeds today and there is no mention of a stone at any of the corners as far as I can tell. It is hard to read if it is a stake or a stone. So the stone I found was obviously placed there after the 1857 and 1868 date.
Have you been to the southeasternmost corner yet Guy?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you been to the southeasternmost corner yet Guy?

Yes, You and I went there back on 3/12/2005. That is the corner I used to find the stone we visited the other day. I forgot to mention that to you when we were out there. And that is how I came up with the angle and that is why I believed my info was pretty close.

IMG_5189a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, I looked over my photos from that day and you said the wells were put in that week. The concrete is new. That is also the day we visited the Rosedale gun club ruins.

I wrote the late Robert Schoop who was in charge of the wells and the gaging station nearby and he said this about the gaging station, not the wells.

Guy,

The pipe that goes into the stream at the Pump Branch gage is bubbling
compressed air into the stream. By monitoring how much pressure it take to
push a bubble out, we can measure the water level. The solar panel runs a

small air compressor.

IMG_5172a.jpg

IMG_5168a.jpg

Reactions: ecampbell

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out stone searching this morning and found this in the middle of a rarely used road. Does anyone have an idea what may have done this? It just seems odd to me. It is mostly dirt because when I went over it my car had a small bounce.

IMG_7155a.jpg

Reactions: stiltzkin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was along the Pole Branch again today trying to figure out the property lines which I have been doing for years there. I had found a crushed stone there in 2014 and never took the GPS cords. The old map calls it a thin stone and I believe it is the one below that I found in 2014. However, it is not in the proper location.

thin.jpg

IMG_0435a.jpg

So today after an hour of searching I found it again and it proves to me if this is the stone it has been moved.

IMG_7156a.jpg

I took this so I would be able to find it again. My walking stick is at the stone.

IMG_7157 2b.jpg

I will be changing my tactics and spending more time on the other side of the pole branch........in the briers :bang:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is nice that you are guessing. However, there was no evidence of any disturbance except that spot. And the road there is just wide enough for one car.

It just seemed odd to me.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
When a piece of woods is driven by a gun club the "standers" often clear the leaf litter from around their feet to avoid making noise. They usually stand along old roads on these drives. If you said you saw it two weeks ago I would think this was the cause but with all the recent rain it seems like an unlikely explanation.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was there on 12/4 and it wasn't there. And anyone driving the road anytime after it was made had to have driven over it and I saw no evidence of damage to it until I did.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
In the road?
Guy, Oriental is dead on. Club hunters who are the "standers" in a deer drive often clear the area where they stand to minimize any crunchy leaf noises while they are on stand. It allows them to make minor adjustments in their shooting position without making any noise. It's evident after 6 day along the roads back here, if you know what you are looking at. If you were there on the December 4th, you missed the beginning of Six-day because that started the next day on the 5th.

Most of the clubs today encourage or require that their younger members get up in a climbing or hang-on stand when they are the "standers" in a drive. Most clubs that do that have a dedicated truck just to haul the stands from piece to piece.

You probably didn't notice but I when showed you the spot where I was sitting while hunting back here that I had cleared a small circle for my feet to minimize noise.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is no way I could stand in one spot like that. I guess that is why I rarely see animals out there.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
There is no way I could stand in one spot like that. I guess that is why I rarely see animals out there.
Standers aren’t standing very long. Typical pines drive 45 minutes to an hour on the big pieces. Then the standers become the drivers on the next one. Old guys or disabled guys get to be permanent standers.