Rancocas Indian Reservation

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
What ever happened to it? The sign is gone and now replaced with one saying something like state or township park. To much traffic and I never get to slow down and properly read the sign. Anyway, looks like the Indian event is long gone. Is that so, what is going on there?

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
It was just that the sign had changed giving the impression the reservation was no longer there. If it is still there, I wonder why the sign changed?
After looking at your link, my guess would be that the Indians once owned the land and perhaps the state bought it, thus changing the sign. Maybe certain rights were granted to the sellers.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It was just that the sign had changed giving the impression the reservation was no longer there. If it is still there, I wonder why the sign changed?
After looking at your link, my guess would be that the Indians once owned the land and perhaps the state bought it, thus changing the sign. Maybe certain rights were granted to the sellers.

I'm pretty sure that it has been a state park since the 70's. I do know it is a very basic SP, no staff on site or any facilities except for the reservation and the NJ Audubon center.

A quote from the Powhatan site;

"In the 1960's, we "went public" by establishing a center in Philadelphia and later in Moorestown....but we always kept quiet about our home neighborhood. In 1976 we moved to larger quarters in Medford. In 1980, the State of New Jersey, by Resolution of its Senate with the concurrence of the General Assembly, recognized the Powhatan Renape Nation. The resolution also called upon the Congress of the United States to recognize the Powhatan Renape Nation.

IN 1982 the Powhatan Renape Nation negotiated an agreement with the State of New Jersey to take over 350 acres of state owned land in the town of Westampton. The property is now recognized by the state of New Jersey and the general public as the Rankokus Indian Reservation. The Nation's administrative Center is located here to manage its community, educational, cultural, social and other programs and services."

http://www.njaudubon.org/SectionCenters/SectionRancocas/Introduction.aspx

http://www.powhatan.org/