Red Oak Grove (and Union Clay Graves)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al,

I received your photo but could not respond because my mail went down. It says I sent too many letters too quickly. I believe Comcast must have started blocking mail that gets sent rapidly to stop virus programs from sending multiple email from a mail client.

Anyway that is quite a bit of walking! You must be tired!

Guy

manumuskin said:
yes that was me and I did wave at you.A common WV trait this waving at people you don"t know:)People very seldom do that here and most look at you in shock when you wave at them:)

Al,

I wave to everyone I pass in the Pines but you're right, I think I'd get a lot of funny looks if I did that back out in the world.

Steve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Teegate,
I have a Garmin GPS 76 with WAAS.I bought it because it was advertised to get good reception in heavy tree cover even though it"s a marine GPS.It does quite well in the thickest of cedar swamps on the nastiest of days so i got my moneys worth.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would agree, because for my eTrex to keep the signal for that long in the woods I have to hold it in my hand facing up, or I would have to velcro it to a hat or my shoulder. I always am loosing the signal.

Guy

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
Guy,

I bought a cell phone holder that fits on my back pack at Home Depot. I put my Garmin ETrex Venture GPS in it while hiking, in case I trip it leaves my hands free to catch my fall. I had to modify it to work for me. I think it cost $15. - $20. and I think It's worth it. I lose the signal sometimes, but it usually comes right back. I will show it to you sometime.

Ken

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will have to invest into something like that. I carry mine in my hand all the time and doing that is getting annoying.

Thanks for the tip.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have a neck strap from a convention I went to once. I clipped it to my GPS's little wrist strap. The problem is that the GPS I have is pretty damn heavy and doesn't feel right around my neck, and it's too bulky to go into a pocket.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
KenDawg said:
Guy,

Did you get my email last week?

Ken

No. I did get a post about your geocache at Union but that was all. Please send it again if it is relevant. Then post to tell me so I know you sent it. Thanks.

Nothing I hate more than not getting my mail. If anyone has sent me anything and I have not replied, please send it again. I also have sent mail and have not had replies from those letters I felt I should have, so I may have some sort of problem on this end.

Ben.. I also am not receiving email notification of posts. The last one I had was 9/1 and I should have received some since then. It may be on my end. Has anyone else not received theirs?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
KenDawg said:
Guy,

I sent you an email.

Ken

Ken,

I did not get it. Did you send it to TeeGate@comcast.net? Please try to send it again, or you can send me a Private Message on this site. You can do that by going in the Member List link at the top and clicking on the Private Message button next to TeeGate.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
KenDawg said:
I think I sent it as a private message.

Ken,

I am sorry but I do not have it. I just checked my private messages and it says You have no new messages. I received two other private messages in the past few days so I know that is working properly. I even just sent one to myself and that worked.

Could you please send it again... I am interested in reading it.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had earlier stated I thought I found a driveway to the red oak grove cellar holes in the bayberry patch next to it but after studying the map entitled atlas sheet 13 on the map gallery of this site I do believe I found the beginning of the road that is shown heading southeast toward howardsville and is shown on the woodmansie topo quad but doesn"t really exist anymore as shown on terraserver.this would place the cellar holes in the northeast junction of the road south to 72 and the road to howardsville.An advantageous position and not just a blind spot in the forest.go to the cellar holes and stand in the road and notice the bayberry patch to the right.bushwack back in there and you"ll stumble into a trnch horse and buggy wide full of brush that heads southeast.could this be the old road shown on map 13?
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
KenDawg said:
Guy,

I think I sent it as a private message.

Ken

I don't want to post off topic posts in this forum, but KenDawg I have sent you a private message. Could you please reply to it so that I can get the message you had wanted to send me.

Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.