Revisiting the Parker Preserve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

It has been a while since I have roamed around the Parker Preserve using the entrance at Chatsworth Lake, so this morning Jessica and I did just that. I have a few photo's that I took beginning in 2004 in this part of the preserve, so I figured I would also visit those locations to see how they have changed.

In September 2004 Bobpbx and I attended the dedication ceremonies for the Franklin Parker Preserve and I took this photo of Franklin Parker at the sign they put right in one of the bogs.

Franklin_Parker.JPG

One year later (6 years ago) Jessica and I visited there again.

IMG_5720.JPG

And the same location today.

IMG_7979.JPG

When Bob and I were walking to the dedication in 2004 we were walking alongside Congressman Jim Florio and I took a photo of Bob with him.

Bob%20Moyer_Jim%20Florio.JPG

The same location today.

IMG_7971.JPG

They now have street signs :)

IMG_7968.JPG

In November of 2004 PBX was granted permission to hike the preserve before the public was allow to go there. Here is our group photo which included the late Bob Bruneau. Member Ed Campbell is also there on the far right.

IMG_4508.JPG

Today, they have dug the road up at the same location and there are large plastic pipes under the road. The rise in the road is where the pipes go under.

IMG_7993.JPG

They built an observation tower on the roof of one of the old pump houses, and if you want to visit there you should go soon. In a few years the view will surely be hampered by the growing vegetation. Oh, BTW, watch for the poison ivy by the steps. Also, look very closely for the Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower in this photo. It is there.

IMG_7982.JPG

IMG_7987.JPG

Jessica calls these a "keyboard." She so wanted to write all the characters on each key and type a letter.

IMG_7984.JPG

Apple Pie Hill way in the distance.

IMG_7983.JPG

Jessica playing around in the pipes.

IMG_7995.JPG

Then we headed down the tracks and tried different routes to get back to our car. At each decision we were blocked and had to turn around. We bushwhacked through some serious woods spending over an hour trying to do what should have taken 15 minutes. Jessica started to overheat and on several occasions she was throwing up. A few times she felt faint and frustration was high. Eventually we made it out to 532 and back to our car.

Just before reaching 532 we found this yellow morel which is an edible mushroom that are prized by gourmet cooks all over the world.

IMG_8000.JPG

After spending a few hours at this Parker Preserve location, I can say I am disappointed on how they have blocked off many of the dikes. Granted, they may be putting the "keyboards" at some of the locations in the future, but if you look over an aerial map while traversing this area you may not be able to get down the dike you had wanted to go down. Your best bet is to follow the trail signs which unfortunately I usually avoid. In any event, I recommend you visit this place soon, even though it appears to me not many people do. It seems a waste to have all this land available to visit when it appears not many do.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We stopped and had lunch at the 532 entrance today on a trip to Russo's. Nobody around, except for a couple fishing in the lake.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Were you walking across the road with a chair? If so, I almost hit you.

There also was a car that parked on the side of the road with a dog. Another car also pulled up. We were walking down 532 towards our car at that time. We then drove to Chatsworth and got a soda and returning we almost hit the man crossing the road with the chair as we went around the curve. There was a black truck in the parking area when we returned and almost hit the man. This was about 11:30 or 11:45.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Nope, we saw the truck in the parking area on our way out. That's where we stopped for lunch on the return trip.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
That section of the preserve has alot going on at this moment. All the volunteers who help out there got an email from the land steward a few months ago describing what they were doing and that certain areas may not be passable for a while. I do not go out on that stretch much, as I've said before I find that area to be lacking wildlife, sort of unsightly and boring even before the construction started. I'm hoping all these efforts improve the area as I find these old overgrown cranberry bogs to be really lacking life and are just downright ugly, the soil in them is so sticking hard its like concrete.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I like cranberry bogs that are working. I would have directed that they be left as bogs, but no pesticides or fertilizers, and of course the public has the freedom to roam. Maybe lease it out like double trouble does.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Guy, did they start flooding the bogs? In the spring visit the land steward said they would do that this summer. Yes it is ugly right now but it has potential. It is sad to see the turtles wallowing in mud looking for water. I think they pock marked all the bogs in that location, meaning there will be no open water. Do you know if they treated the bogs on the other side of 563 the same way?

I have to get back and find the suspension bridge.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are still working on things it appears and I did not see any flooding. Until they get whatever they are trying to do done, I don't see many people wanting to go there. I am wondering how many individuals are even using the trails they made. Some of them go through the old bogs of the Kennedy Cranberry Company and it's a pretty nice area.

They did the other side also.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
They flooded the bogs to the east of 563 and they look pretty nice in spots. I like the varied levels of water and the different types of species that will be attracted towards that sort of thing. Some of the bogs they fixed a while back that are more off the beaten path looked awesome last time I saw them. I think in time it will be a nice spot, no matter what it will be an improvement on how they looked, as it was just ugly. The centers of the bogs to me looked like old overgrown concrete parking lots with weeds growing in them, it was awful.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
still to this day unsure what we were supposed to be doing over there but I must say it was an educational experience,I think now were over there to set up an arab democaracy.........Pause...... okay I stopped laughing and can type now.Thats what I hear anyway.
your welcome:)
Al

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Too bad I'm not a gourmet cook, because this one is growning no more than 30 feet from my kitchen door. :D

Nice! Well, with that spare time you are or will be having you can take up cooking and have us all down for a mushroom meal:D

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Guy have you stumbled upon the pair of Adirondack chairs? They are huge! It must have been hard work to get those two chairs up that slight incline and into the woods. If I remember correctly there location is on the green blazed trail and just off of the bog. I would have to check my GPS to be certain.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy have you stumbled upon the pair of Adirondack chairs? They are huge! It must have been hard work to get those two chairs up that slight incline and into the woods. If I remember correctly there location is on the green blazed trail and just off of the bog. I would have to check my GPS to be certain.

I am going there in two weeks to check them out. I was right near them but turned off to get the Then and Now photo so I did not get a chance to see them.

Guy