Sawmills

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

A while back I posted about a hike that members of the Pine Barrens Explorers (PBX) hiking club went on that was called "Half Dry, Half Wet, All Wild". On the very start of this hike BobM stumbled on a cement slab with bolts sticking out of it, and I mentioned that I had found them throughout the pines and felt they were the locations where saws were used for logging. They would just just move on leaving the cement slab when the wood ran out.

Here is a photo of the one Bob found. You can see one of the bolts right next to the stick.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/996-1/IMG_6038.jpg

I was reading an article in the Batsto Citizens Gazette from the fall of 1971, and one of the articles caught my attention. It was I am assuming written by Bud Wilson, since the author is J.G.Wilson. The article is on sawmills and it tells me that my assumption was correct on what the cement slab actually was. Remember, we were at Hawkins Bridge.

Here is an excerpt.

Such Mills and the traces of them have been located at Penn Swamp at a spot near High Crossing, another near Godfrey's Bridge, ONE AT HAWKINS BRIDGE and other places. There was one on the road from Atsion to Quaker Bridge, about halfway between Atsion and the bog.

All of the mills whose remains can be found today embodied the same engineering. A brick, stone, and concrete platform or base in which were imbedded (and still visible) long threaded rofs. These were actually bolts that secured the heavy steam or donkey engine.

Now this particular slab had short bolts, so I am guessing it is of a much more recent construction with more modern equipment being used that required smaller bolts.

The article mentions how it was easier to move the machine that to build a new mill. It also has a very long description on one sawmill at Sandy Ridge with information from someone who worked there. The wood was carted to the JCRR near Carranza road and loaded on the train. The pile of sawdust was well over 100 yards long and two stories high. It was later removed completely for mulch by Blueberry growers.

And FYI for the members of PBX, there is another article that briefly discussed the canal we discussed in depth near Atsion Lake.

Guy

....there, that didn't take long.

normal_PICT0006%7E1.JPG

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like that is it. Thanks for posting it. I have not been to that one so one day when we are out that way maybe we could stop in. I want to start getting a more accurate account of the ones I have found and others.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been informed the author of that article is Joe Wilson and not Budd Wilson.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very Interesting. I have seen these things and always wondered but never had a clue as to what they were. I can't recall in which locations I have seen them. You know, I recently came across some ruins in Lebanon that I have passed a hundred or more times but never noticed. The road bends a bit there and ones vision is diverted to the oppisite side of the road. It is an old concrete foundation (not cinderblock) with rebar(which made me think of it- bolts in cement and all). I will get a picture and post. I don't have one right now. It is near the RR to whiting.

Jeff

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That is probably Van Note Camp, which was owned/ran by one of my ancesters. The Van Note's owned a lumber yard in Point Pleasant.

Beck had described that the only thing showing where the location of that lumber camp was an old rusted boiler. Well I am sure that the boiler is gone, and all that remains is the ruin that you've seen.

Come to think of it, though, VNC is supposed to be between Buckingham and Upton Station on 70. Not towards Whiting...

woodjin said:
Very Interesting. I have seen these things and always wondered but never had a clue as to what they were. I can't recall in which locations I have seen them. You know, I recently came across some ruins in Lebanon that I have passed a hundred or more times but never noticed. The road bends a bit there and ones vision is diverted to the oppisite side of the road. It is an old concrete foundation (not cinderblock) with rebar(which made me think of it- bolts in cement and all). I will get a picture and post. I don't have one right now. It is near the RR to whiting.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
These things may answer a question that perplexed me alot over the years. On my granfather's farm in Elm. ( long since now out of operation and very let down ) There is a good sized one of these. I always thought it was one big hunk of stone but it could have been a cast of some sort. I think it had short studs in it. It is still there, I checked recently while stopping by the old place. I remember my dad telling me what was mounted to it but it escapes me now. The house & property is very old and in very close proximity to the old Jersey Central ( try right across Fleming pike few hundred yards ). So perhaps that holds a clue, or not.
A fond memory when visiting used to be getting awakened by that slow clunk-clunk when staying over as a kid in the seventies.
Unfortunately I have no means to get a pic to post, sorry.

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
If the foundation is about 10’ from the tracks, has four bolts and may have a hole or a notch for a cable, it may be a foundation for a railroad signal. The ones I’ve seen in the pines are tapered, smaller on top and bigger at ground level.

Here’s a picture I found on the net. Sorry for the size.

Roy

Attachments

• signalBase.JPG
    signalBase.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 371

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe with all of the members looking we can find more of these. So I will start by giving the coordinates of the one in the photo. Just please don't put a geocache there. I will search through my photo's for the rest.

The one in the link I posted by Hawkins Bridge is located at:

39°42.997
74°33.760

You have to walk in the woods somewhat but it is an easy walk.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ben, I believe you are correct that the foundation I saw is Van Note Camp. It lies between Buckingham and Upton station maybe 100ft from the tracks. I read what Beck wrote about it, although it wasn't much more than what you quoted from him. There are cranberry bogs very close which contain several concrete structures for water regulation. I first assumed it was related to that (packing house near the tracks), but it makes more sense that it is Van Note Camp.

Jeff

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is pretty cool that you found that. I wonder what ever became of the portable steam saw mills used in the pinebarrens. Probably long since rusted away.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All of them are great photo's and links. Thanks.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah, they are fascinating; thanks for posting. I have spent many years working in carpentry shops around saws and other power tools. Looking at those sawmill photos makes me think there were a lot of accidents and injuries back then. Scary stuff. Also consider the hazards of powering a boiler with fire and you realize just how hard life must have been for the people who lived and worked in the pines back then.