Shooters Sporting Center Being Sold for $10,500,000.00!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
For those sportsmen and sportswomen out there who enjoy hunting and shooting, I have some very bad news. Shooters in LEHT is being sold to Ocean County for the tidy sum of $10,5000,000.00. Ocean does not seem afraid to spend money. The store and ranges will close on 12-31-23.

The County is going to utilize the entire facility and ranges to construct an EMS training facility. Shooters will relocate back to their original roots in West Creek at the old Tip's Hardware Store on 9. Tip's was a very cool place and it is good that they will be back.

Shooters was a very nice store, like a small Cabela's, and they had outstanding indoor and outdoor range facilities. I bought a handgun there a few years ago and whenever I would venture up that way on the motorcycle we would stop in and buy some ammo or other goodies. I bought a carry gun a few weeks ago and was going to purchase it there but I ended up buying it from a friend who has an FFL at his cost.

They are having a huge sale on guns and ammunition and everything else starting today. They will be refunding range memberships for those who had memberships extending beyond 12-31-23. All of the details can be found on their Facebook Page.

I am attaching the agenda with the Ocean County Ordinance adoption listed.

Attachments

• shooters 10,500,000.jpg
    shooters 10,500,000.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 106

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Very sad to see this close down! Not many sportsman places around to chose from! I remember when Kmart sold everything you wanted including guns and there were several mom and pop shops around.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very sad to see this close down! Not many sportsman places around to chose from! I remember when Kmart sold everything you wanted including guns and there were several mom and pop shops around.
I cried when Atco Sports closed for good. I bought lots of guns and ammo there over the nearly 40 years I have lived here. It was truly a Mom and Pop shop with old man Walt Barnes and his wife Rose holding down the fort for 50 plus years .

You are right Piney Warden, K-Mart had it all as did most discount department stores including Sears, Grants, Woolco and J.M. Fields. I would ride my bicycle from Gibbsboro to the J.M. Fields discount store in Stratford to buy ammo when I was only twelve or so. They sold Canuck paper shotgun shells for about $3.00 a box. I was cutting lawns for about $5.00 a pop back then and spent most of that on hunting and fishing stuff. The rest, I just wasted. :)

Reactions: PINEY WARDEN

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
I cried when Atco Sports closed for good. I bought lots of guns and ammo there over the nearly 40 years I have lived here. It was truly a Mom and Pop shop with old man Walt Barnes and his wife Rose holding down the fort for 50 plus years .

You are right Piney Warden, K-Mart had it all as did most discount department stores including Sears, Grants, Woolco and J.M. Fields. I would ride my bicycle from Gibbsboro to the J.M. Fields discount store in Stratford to buy ammo when I was only twelve or so. They sold Canuck paper shotgun shells for about $3.00 a box. I was cutting lawns for about $5.00 a pop back then and spent most of that on hunting and fishing stuff. The rest, I just wasted. :)
My father told me about when Earl Harker here in Tabernacle when he was a kid sold Guns, TV’S, and did Haircuts all in the same place in that little building that sat in front of Harker’s Auction! Two of his guns came from there as a child when my grandfather bought them a 12 Gauge Fox Double Barrel and a Winchester 284 Lever Action Model 88 Rifle…I’d love to bring those times back…..

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
I remember as a kid in the 1960’s getting excited looking at guns in the Sears catalog. You could fill out the order form, enclose a check, and they’d ship it to your door. Then I hit puberty and became more excited about the lingerie section in the Sears catalog.

• Haha
Reactions: Wick and RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My father told me about when Earl Harker here in Tabernacle when he was a kid sold Guns, TV’S, and did Haircuts all in the same place in that little building that sat in front of Harker’s Auction! Two of his guns came from there as a child when my grandfather bought them a 12 Gauge Fox Double Barrel and a Winchester 284 Lever Action Model 88 Rifle…I’d love to bring those times back…..
I love hunting in PA. Many of the local hardware stores and general stores have guns and ammunition. I used to go in a one-room store in Nordmont, PA called VanDines General Store back in the 1980's. They had all your basic food needs and always stocked lots of 30-06 and 30-30 ammunition.
I found a photo of the store on Flickr but I can't paste the link ??
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: dragoncjo

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I found a photo of the store on Flickr but I can't paste the link ??

I this should work (assuming it's the photo you want)

Vandines General Store - Nordmont, Pa by Shawn Miller, on Flickr

Here's what I did on Flickr, FWIW. Chose the share button (middle arrow at the bottom right of the page)

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 2.58.32 PM.png

Clicked the bbcode option in the box that opened, copied the text and then just pasted it into this post.

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 2.59.31 PM.png

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I this should work (assuming it's the photo you want)

Vandines General Store - Nordmont, Pa by Shawn Miller, on Flickr

Here's what I did on Flickr, FWIW. Chose the share button (middle arrow at the bottom right of the page)

View attachment 21424

Clicked the bbcode option in the box that opened, copied the text and then just pasted it into this post.

View attachment 21425
Thanks Boyd!
Yes that is the place. It was run by the son, Lynn Vandine, when I hunted Nordmont in the late 80's. I Googled him and he died in 2012 at 63. His obit said he closed the store in 1990. Back then, smoking cigarettes in these little backwoods stores wasn't just permitted, it was required!

I found this article about general stores and Vandine's is mentioned in the article:

Reactions: Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks Boyd!

Yes that is the place. It was run by the son, Lynn Vandine, when I hunted Nordmont in the late 80's. I Googled him and he died in 2012 at 63. His obit said he closed the store in 1990. Back then, smoking cigarettes in these little backwoods stores wasn't just permitted, it was required! Nearest place to buy beer was an 8 mile ride to the Pine Tavern where you were limited to a six pack to go. Liquor was over 20 miles away at the State Store in Dushore. I always bought as much as possible from home to avoid the road trips.

I found this article about general stores and Vandine's is mentioned in the article: