Stone Searching

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see some red on the boots :)

There is a sensor on the exhaust pipe and the wire leading to it was hanging. I noticed it while Gloria and I were examining the sawmill. I climbed under and decided I would be able to tie it up, but needed something to do that. Jessica went in the trunk and found one of my sneakers that I use in the summer to walk the swamps, and she took the shoe lace off. I tied it to a hose and cut off the excess. Next weekend I will do a complete fix on it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This morning I met up with Al (manumuskin) to stone search again for some old stones I recently learned of. We met at the Atsion Ranger station and headed to a location less than 400 feet away from there where there was a "Large Old Stone" that we wanted to see. Unfortunately, it was not to be found so we ventured the 15 miles to Seaf Weeks Road near Green Bank and Lower Bank. This area is full of history and Al and I will most likely be spending quite a bit of time there in the future.

Our first target was the "Cow Horn" stone and the Wm. Richards/Sooy stone shown in the below map which was made for the estate of Joseph Wharton in 1880 by his surveyor Elias Wright.

richards_cow.jpg

estate_map.jpg

We arrived at the first location and for a while we were disappointed. However, we prevailed, and found the unremarkable Cow Horn stone.

IMG_4115.JPG

Then we bushwhacked about a quarter mile and walked around in circles for quite a while until Al found the Richards/Sooy stone hidden in the brush.

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4120.JPG

Then off to a path right near the Ellis Adams cellar hole near Calico to find one of two stones located there.

IMG_4121.JPG

I was actually able to drive my car right to the flooded area by Calico Ridge, and Al and I explored along the ridge before heading off to look for a stone nearby.

IMG_4125.JPG

We did not find the stone at first, and multiple circular movements did not help us at all. Just as we were about to leave I happened to push my walking stick into the ground and came up with this.

IMG_4127.JPG

By now the day had ended for me, and Al decided to look for another stone I had told him about but had not looked for. So we parted ways and I headed home. It was unfortunate I did because Al made the most amazing discovery that I doubt we will find again. These photo's below were taken by Al alone, and I have posted them without his permission. Hopefully, he will not care. A very nice find Al!

IMAG0068.JPG

IMAG0070.JPG

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great reports with lots of details!!! This last stone was in the calico area then? in a bog? a resv. perhaps? maybe other calico ruins are hidden beneath the waters.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great reports with lots of details!!! This last stone was in the calico area then? in a bog? a resv. perhaps? maybe other calico ruins are hidden beneath the waters.

Jeff

The last photo's that Al took are not in the Calico area. We had left there and I headed home and Al moved on to another location.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jeff.
That is an underwater foundation stone to a lost pyramid built by phoenician explorers 3000 years ago when the sea level was much lower.This summer when hopefully the cohansey aquifer empties out a little we will go back to see if we can find any soggy mummies or perhaps the lost Ark of the Covenant.
New Jersey Jones

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff.
That is an underwater foundation stone to a lost pyramid built by phoenician explorers 3000 years ago when the sea level was much lower.This summer when hopefully the cohansey aquifer empties out a little we will go back to see if we can find any soggy mummies or perhaps the lost Ark of the Covenant.
New Jersey Jones

ahhhhh okay, I thought maybe it was something really unique.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica and I did some tough hiking today to look for a few stones I recently learned about, and we headed off of 532 down a dirt road to get to them. From the first 50 feet down the road we spent 45 minutes just going less than a quarter mile removing trees until a large tree blocked our way. We were exhausted before the day even started :) So our efforts to clear the road for others ended and we headed off on foot.

IMG_4160.JPG

Our first find was a bridge built for ATVs that has not been used in a while.

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

Then bushwhacking we found two stones for a small private piece of property in the middle of sate land. Here is one of them.

IMG_4167.JPG

Next, we found the corner to Sam Moore's property deep in the pines. I suspect he never found it because his signs and corner markers were on state land. Close, but not close enough :) I had to clear away years of vegetation to find it.

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

During this time Jessica fell and became stuck in briers. I let her fight her way out herself :)

IMG_4170.JPG

On the way back.

IMG_4175.JPG

And again she fell in briers. I let her fend for herself again.

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

At this point they did not know we were there.

IMG_4179.JPG

And we noticed there were initials in two concrete pipes under the road. I think it is 4/23/1975

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

This one is MJ and the 75 seems more clear.

IMG_4188.JPG

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That's funny your comments about Jess! As usual, makes me laugh out loud. She is a good sport too!

Forgot to tell you....I found one yesterday off 530 in Berkely Township. I was along the Davenport Branch.

IMG_4906_1.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That's funny your comments about Jess! As usual, makes me laugh out loud. She is a good sport too!

Forgot to tell you....I found one yesterday off 530 in Berkely Township. I was along the Davenport Branch.

Nice one Bob! Can you send me the coords? It may lead me to others if I have info on that area.

I wish I had the video running when she fell the second time. I watched her fall. And when she got up she yelled Ta-Dah. Funny!

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hey, that is the trail I was telling you about. I did that on my motorcycle a couple times and believe it or not, it actually looks in better shape now:D There is an easier way to get in there with your car but not as much fun.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy,
I feel for Jess.I just went out with Bill last night in shorts not planning on bushwacking.I went to walk down a steep grade to a pond and my ankle gave out and when i stumbled i got raked very badly by briars around my bare leg.i was attempting to easily step over the briar ball when the other ankle flipped which dropped me into the briar ball and then being on a steep incline they wrapped around me as i fell down hill.I caught myself on a tree and kept from taking the plunge but i gave quite a squeal.Bill ignored this completely because he is used to my over reactive whining to pain only this time when he seen my leg he realized now wasn't the time to tell me to man up, buttercup.
Al

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Guy,
Bill ignored this completely because he is used to my over reactive whining to pain only this time when he seen my leg he realized now wasn't the time to tell me to man up, buttercup.
Al

Buttercup,

I did tell you to man up, but you were crying too loud to hear me.

Whip

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today was turtle day. On our way out to meet someone we saw the below. These were just the turtles we stopped for, and does not included the one we saw crushed :(

Female..... acording to Jessica. I guess she should know :)

IMG_4728.JPG

Painted #1

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

We visited a cedar swamp and waked the Haines property line. This was trimmed two winters ago.

IMG_4746.JPG

No stones today.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I started the stone searching season yesterday looking for a few basic monuments around the Pioneer Gun Club property. One of them was on the Friendship Bog property line adding to the many property corners on that tract. I am still confused about the ownership of that piece of land. I have acquired a survey saying the state purchased it in 1981/1982 but Ed has viewed parties there, there have been vehicles there, and there is a new master lock on the gate. So maybe they have lifetime rights to the place. I will check into this.

pioneer.jpg

IMG_5819.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
they look like concretes.Were their supposed to be any accompanying stones?
I'll throw some pics of my latest finds on ehre soon as the new camera materializes.hopefully my blurry days are over.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy
they look like concretes.Were their supposed to be any accompanying stones?
I'll throw some pics of my latest finds on ehre soon as the new camera materializes.hopefully my blurry days are over.
Al

Yes they are monuments. I mentioned I was warming up :) There were void of stones which is what they should have been.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was around 14 degrees early this morning when Al and I headed out to stone search, and when walking in open area's Al remarked that his head felt like he had an ice cream headache. It was quite cold. However, when in the woods and moving it was not that bad at all, and we were able to spend all morning on the go with little problems. I had calculated quite a few locations working from one probable point, and our first stop was the last location in the chain of calculations. If we found this stone we were doing quite well, and the chances of finding the rest were guaranteed. Sure enough we were within 9 feet from our destination. This stone may have been here as far back as the 1830s.

IMG_6102.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Unfortunately, this was the highlight of the day, with all of the other locations coming up empty. We kept running into deep snow hampering our view of the land.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were trying to figure that out but the ground is frozen so we could not dig. It may be two stones next to one another, or it may even be pieces chipped off. We have to go back one day when the ground warms to check it out. We also need to look again for some other stones because every time we went to a location it was a foot deep in snow.

Guy