Sweet Sassafras

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
His pop was offered as an alternate to alcohol, although the “beer” part irked some in the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. Vineland was a center for the temperance movement, which later morphed into the women’s suffrage movement. A ghost, said to be that of the suffragette Ms. Davis, continues to ply mischief to adjoining neighbors. S-M

Serendipity!

I was at Lost Town Hunter's 50th anniversary celebration last Saturday, a wonderful event. He introduced one of his long-time associates, suggesting the two of us may have grown up in the same area. It turned out we were neighbors, even if temporally a generation apart. We moved here from Mays Landing to farm in 1959, the year I was born. She had lived in Richland during WWII. It was great fun hearing stories of old Richland from another (and very eloquent) position.

Her accounts echoed stories I had been told a a child. We talked for hours about Ikey the Wild-man, who lived in woodland tunnels (moonshine storage she relayed); Five-acre Farmer Billy Adams, another recluse back at Uncle Jenk's Field; skating on the same ponds; swimming the same holes; going to the same two-room and three-room schoolhouse, even on occasion being taught by the same teachers.

Here's a link to her excellent account of Ms. Davis' ghost, who's still blamed for odd things that happen in the middle of the night so many years hence!

Many thanks L-T-H,
S-M

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I joined a couple local organizations that have an older membership and you can get a lot of local info by asking questions. Many people are happy to share their stories. Spungman, Welcome back from Mars. Did you pick any blueberries while on the red planet?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Spungman, Welcome back from Mars. Did you pick any blueberries while on the red planet?

LOL! Oji, the Martians were just fine. My daughter co-presented to them at the Lowell Observatory. Mars blueberries are rich in iron (hematite, actually), so a little hard to chew. I tried to upload a lower resolution copy of the poster, which compares ice-age Pine Barrens with the frozen red planet. Unfortunately the file is 8.2 MB. Is there a way to post something that size to this thread?

Until then, anyone who wants a copy can email me.

Cheers,
S-M