The Batona Trail Diary, the First Thirty Miles

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I already am not happy with how it is going. I have to leave them at full size so it will be a large file.

If you're looking for help putting together a PDF, I might be able to help out. Just thought I would offer. Send me a PM if you like. Bob's suggestion is good as well, and may end up doing almost exactly the same thing I would do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have it going. I have all the files adjusted straight and cropped to remove the outside boundaries. You have to remember, I took photos of the documents. I don't actually have them anymore, I gave them back to the owner. Years ago I switched to all digital because I was collecting too many maps and documents and could not store them all.

I am not even going to try and improve on the documents because I tend to never like what I do. So I am moving forward with what I took. With the PDF you can zoom in and the quality currently is good enough to clearly see everything.

Reactions: Boyd and Wick

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Let's discuss Carpenter Spring, and where the original beginning of the Baton was located.

The mileage chart below shows the original start at Carpenter Spring. Today it starts at Ongs Hat and crosses New Lisbon Road to Carpenter Spring and then down to Deep Hollow along Bisphams Creek. I am assuming that Carpenter Spring is at the top of the map at the yellow circle and that was the original starting point???

Where does the Carpenter Spring name come from?

Carpenter Spring.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

Reactions: Wick and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Found this is SignPosts

CARPENTER'S CORNER (Pemberton Township). The intersection of the New Lisbon Road with an old road from Pemberton to Magnolia. The 1873 map reveals that the Widow M. A. Carpenter lived at the cross roads. Mentioned in 1876 road returns.

Reactions: stiltzkin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I first drove a car, a 1963? Caprice I think, on that sand road to the right of New Lisbon Road. That is very steep where the trail is.