The Cedar Bridge Tavern

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
As Guy had mentioned in the other Cedar Bridge thread, he and I did some exploring in the Forked River Mountains area today. We also wanted to stop and visit the Reevestown Cemetary that Beck mentions in "More Forgotten Towns" in the "Refugees at Cedar Bridge" chapter.

You can see pictures of the cemetary here.

We also decided to drive up to Cedar Bridge to try to find the location of the sawmill there. When we got there, the owner of the Cedar Bridge Tavern was there, and Guy and I were able to speak to him about the place. Better than that, though, was that he invited us in and allowed us to take some pictures. He seemed busy so we didn't stay long, but we did get to look around on both floors of the hotel.

Here's the pictures. The first thing that stuck me was how small the rooms were. Also, the stairway that John Wildermuth fell down, hit his head, and died was very small and narrow. Guy almost relived history on it.

Notice how small the bar is. In those days you didn't sit at the bar, you just got up, ordered your drink, and brought it back to your table.

The owner of the house was very cordial, and I thank him for allowing us into his home.