Tidbits

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Some interesting things I have recently learned.

In the few years before 1969, Constable Bridge and Estell Forge Bridge (also known as Lost Forge and Atsion Locks) were soaked in kerosene and burned to the ground, and only Constable Bridge was rebuilt. I am assuming that Atsion Locks is what we now call Locks Bridge. This apparently would be the one at the location that is no longer there, and not the one that just fell down nearby. If I am correct on this being the bridge, we now know what happened to it.

Also, the packing house at Hampton Furnace was still three stories high in the mid to late 60’s, and the windows and other items were being stolen. A group of motorcyclist left graffiti on the walls as high as the third story. Leave it to the motorcyclist to do that :) :) Just kidding! And two of the houses there had recently burned to the ground. I first visited there in 1973 and the packing house looked like what you see in my “Then and Now” photo, so destruction happened quite fast it appears.

And Washington in the 60’s had a informative wooden sign placed there by Boy Scouts which was blasted away by guns. Martha also had one which was destroyed, but I know for a fact that by the early 70’s the Boy Scouts from Chalfont PA had replaced it which I took a poor photo of. Someone had written “Jive” across it in spray paint.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And even more interesting, the Boot Camp on Carranza Road was originally intended to be built at Hampton Furnace, and only septic problems caused the change of location.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow. That is alot of interesting info all in one shot! Thanks for sharing this. Isn't it amazing that Hampton furnace structures survived for all those years, and all it took was one (arson?) fire to take it out. What a shame that people feel the need to burn and spray paint and shoot at anything they think they can get away with. I guess it only takes 1 in 1000 to be that much of a jerk and the damage is done.

Sure am glad the boot camp didn't end up at Hampton Furnace though.

Jeff

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Great stuff Guy. Yeah, that really would have been terrible to put the boot camp at Hampton Furnace. What is the history of its current location though? Was it something else before it became the boot camp?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great stuff Guy. Yeah, that really would have been terrible to put the boot camp at Hampton Furnace. What is the history of its current location though? Was it something else before it became the boot camp?

I suspect that location was chosen because of the elevation. I would guess there was nothing there before the state built it. They called it a home for wayward boys and not a Boot Camp back then.

A few more.

Most of us remember the vandalism at Carranza Memorial two years ago, but it has come to my attention this is nothing new. Back in 1970 cans of spray paint were used to cover the memorial with graffiti. And a more ominous act occurred when someone tried to overturn it causing cracks at the base which had to be fixed. Just a guess, but I suspect that is when they put the wooden barriers there that no longer are in use.

And there is another Fred Brown article in a newspaper from the past that I presently am trying to get a copy of. I don’t believe I have seen of this one. Along with that there is a Pine Barren Tree frog article from 40 years ago. I will check and see if the local library has microfilm for it.

And there was an agreement reached to allow high tension lines to run through the northern part of Wharton that would whenever possible use the right of way for the Jersey Central Railroad as the location of the route. Obviously, that did not occur for some reason, and I wonder if the line that crosses Atsion road and goes to Jackson Road along the raceway was the final route?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Calico Ridge was at one time a state camping area, but vandalism forced them to shut it down.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Guy, that's very interesting. Samuel Richards built the forge and locks at the location of what we call "locks bridge" sometime in the 1830's. He also built Washington Forge (Lower Forge) on the Batsto and re-established the traditional Atsion Forge during this period. He must have had that place bustling!

BTW, I had only ever heard of the Wading River Forge referred to as "Lost Forge". Where did you hear of this? An old map?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes. You can find some of the info online, and then go to various libraries to view or copy them.

BTW, The article I mentioned above on Fred Brown is at a library on microfilm, so I will be going there soon to get a copy of it. Not sure if it is any good; however, I would like to get a copy.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And there is another Fred Brown article in a newspaper from the past that I presently am trying to get a copy of. I don’t believe I have seen of this one. Along with that there is a Pine Barren Tree frog article from 40 years ago. I will check and see if the local library has microfilm for it.

I went to the library in Philly today and acquired the two articles. As usual the microfilm equipment does a really poor job of reproducing them properly. On some of the pages I had to copy them three times and splice the good portions of each one together to make one semi clear page. Some were so poor they had to stop charging me until they came out clear. Most of the photo’s are not even visible since I had to concentrate on getting the text to show properly.

I don’t believe I have read these, even though portions of the info I have viewed before. Behr655 (Steve) will be interested to know they mention the political sign on the White Horse Inn you have mentioned in the past. Since it is a newspaper article I can’t post it for copyright reasons; however, if you are a member of this site "at this moment" and want copies, PM me and I will give them to you. In a few days that will end.

Guy