Tomorrow Morning

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am going on a little exploration. About 2 miles, hard by the Wading River above Speedwell. Hope to be out there below Chatsworth about 10 AM. Let me know if you are interested..bob

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As usual, after I left route 563, I had to fight my way through cat briar and broke through here at this spot:

WAYIN.JPG

I passed a nice little bog on my way to the river:

BOGLAND.JPG

Came to the river here at this spot, these are the upper reaches of the Wading. Not often seen:

WILDAREA.JPG

The next bend down after I popped out of the deciduous area. Beautiful:

RIVERBEND.JPG

A bit of rush by the river (so to speak):

RUSH.JPG

I moved off the river a little bit to this nice savanna, shining green with Carex striata (Walter's sedge):

CAREX.JPG

Ahhh...Peace. I stood here for quite awhile:

PEACE.JPG

Here is the Pine Barren Postcard you can send to your Aunt in Poughkeepsie:

WADINGPOST.JPG

Come on, lets go downriver:

COMEON.JPG

$1.00 to the person who can tell me where this is:

FAMILIAR.JPG

A shot of Golden Crest (Lophiola aurea):

LOPHIOLA.JPG

I could not resist ending the day at Long Savanna, on the mighty Batsto:

LONGS.JPG

A bee on Golden crest:

BEE.JPG

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great shots Bob!! So all the shots except for the last one were taken on the wading river? West of 563? How were the ticks. I was only out for about a 1/2 hour on Sunday and they were brutal!!!! Still lots of small nymphs, which are the worst.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
:D Excellant pics Bob. these last couple of days have all been 10's.

Saw a purple flower today, itt was spikelike, could you tell me what i saw, no pics, battery died, need a new one, and it said it was charged when i left home.

Ticks no problem today with my permithrin treated clothes, it was actually fun seeing them perish.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Great shots Bob!! So all the shots except for the last one were taken on the wading river? West of 563? How were the ticks. I was only out for about a 1/2 hour on Sunday and they were brutal!!!! Still lots of small nymphs, which are the worst.
Jeff

Like always, it depends on where you are. I did not get any that day. I had on my knee highs and sprayed from the waist down with OFF. That seems to be an effective combination, though I attribute some to luck too.

Yes, all the shots were taken on the upper Wading (EAST of 563) except the last one and the Lophiola, though that plant was on the Wading too. This was one of those stunning days filled with the true beauty of the pines that stays with you a long time. The weather made it easy.....usually at this time of year I would not have attempted it unless it was early morning, and even then maybe not.

Gabe asked where Pinelands Postcard was taken.......right about here Gabe:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.7872&lon=-74.53264&s=25&size=m&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

This area would make a great PBX excursion for the fall....

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
:D Excellant pics Bob. these last couple of days have all been 10's.

Saw a purple flower today, itt was spikelike, could you tell me what i saw, no pics, battery died, need a new one, and it said it was charged when i left home.

Ticks no problem today with my permithrin treated clothes, it was actually fun seeing them perish.

Was it in the water? Look like this---pickeral weed?

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...keral+weed&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G