Went to Martha today and....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
Did some hiking around where the fence was where the hollowed tree is. Found some interesting holes and some bricks, it was bitter out, but I had too. I wish there was some kind of schematics of how these settlements were designed and layed out. Martha is slowly becoming my favorite place. I found some old, beat up 2x4's nailed to the trees and the deeper I walked in the woods across from the road from the furnace had even more clearings. Also, the road leaving Martha was filled with water and seemed uncrossable. So we took a trip down to the deserted bog pumping station and noticed beside the road, a valley that ran along side the road that looked like all it needed were some old railroad tracks. I was surprised I never noticed it before. We stopped back at Harrisville, noticing a lot more to see now that it's winter, which was nice. Then we jumped back on Iron Pipe road and headed towards Washington. Noticed a LOT of trees cut down on the North side of the road. I was kind of surprised to see that...When we stopped at Washington, we started walking deep in the woods to find some cellar holes. No luck, but when we went near the stable, we were convinced the ground was hollow underneath. We could be crazy, but we felt something was underneath. At any rate, it was a great day, cold, but another day to give a newbie a history lesson. He was shocked to see these things exist. I on the other hand, want to return to Martha, and possibly Hanover. Talk soon!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I remember seeing that years ago. I was thinking that it might have been sold in the Ranger station, but I am not sure.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have been to Martha many times, but have only walked through the open area on the southeast side once. I have driven right by Washington many times, but never stopped and looked for ruins or cellar holes. This time when I go, I want to roam in the surrounding the woods a bit.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Count me in because right near the ruins I am looking for the Sooy stones. I could use some eyes.

Guy

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
BEHR655 said:
Sounds like fun to me. I've always wanted to explore that area. I bet there is a lot to find off the road.

Steve
I'm up for it...I'd love to return. SOON. Took my bro in law there yesterday. He couldn't believe stuff was out there. Sorry I haven't posted in a while...but I have been out regularly. Not even for photos. Just to go. It's like you guys always say...the bug has bitten. Martha calls to me often. Love it. Let me know if there is a time you guys want to go. I have a hole in my muffler which scare the deer, but should be fixed soon.

gags

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It seems like we are discussing two places in the same post. Which one is up for a trip? Bob I believe was talking about Washington as I was, and others seem to be on the Martha wavelength. Am I wrong?

Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.