West Jersey History and Map Links

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here is a link that a lot of you will find interesting if you haven't already stumbled upon it.
http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/
There are a lot of maps and other useful info.
I was at the NJ State Archives today for a project I am working on and found a lot of neat stuff on my neck of the woods.
I will post on that later.
I have to go to a gun club meeting right now.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman has some articles on that site in the Article section. You may want to check them out.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
That site is RELAYER on this site. Very nice seeming fellow and I have been all over that site. It is really put together well. Jerseyman's work is informative and the walk through West Jersey, and moreover Jersey Shore time via post card collections is fabulous. A must see website in my opinion.

G.

TeeGate and LARGO:

Thanks for the kind words. Guy, you met Relayer on our recent close-in tour of Cherry Hill. Relayer and I are making plans for further improvements to the website. I'm glad you both and RednekF350 have enjoyed it!! Keep checking back. The next installment of post cards will be Salem County.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

A fellow in my history program wrote his senior paper on slavery in Glouster County. I wanted to read it, but never got the chance, so I'm really happy to see some of the records posted on that website!

My paper wasn't quite as interesting historically, it was a history of Holocaust education in New Jersey with a focus on Holocaust education at the elementary education level, including an oral history piece documenting its current implimintation in a local South Jersey school district...

Just went through the Atlantic County postcards hoping to find one of the hotel my family owned in AC (The Ariel Hotel). No such luck, but AMAZING job! I need to make some time to go through all the postcards that are up, it's a treasure trove of great cards! My one dissapointment... no diving horses!!!

Oh man, the shot of the Weymouth Sawmill is great too...

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Just went through the Atlantic County postcards. AMAZING job! I need to make some time to go through all the postcards that are up, it's a treasure trove of great cards!

No Doubt!!
Awesome collection and well organized. I particularly love the Shore collections. Looking back in history at sites and events long gone, parallels the ghost towns and people of the Pines. The grandness of each Hotel one more impressive than the next. The dress, Roads, Cars, events, attractions, beaches, etc.
Cape May County is indeed a highlight. Great job guys!

If only there were Piney Post cards. Hotels, Taverns, Sawmills, Oh My!
G.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Why was New Jersey divided into east and west? It's not even east/west when I look at the map. It doesn't seem geographical, pines are included with mountains in the west, and both share the Jersey shore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
New Jersey was divided into two colonies in 1676 and remained that way until 1702. For land purposes it remained East and West after that point.

The West Jersey council was formed in 1688, and the East Jersey Council started 4 years earlier. The East Jersey Proprietors is the oldest continuously operated business in the US.

Now I would think that they somehow became entrenched and did their best to keep their business intact much like a government agency. Since I am more interested in the property line and what it there to find today, I can't help you much.

Guy