Wet Forest - Formerly Known as Dry Forest

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We hardly got any rain during the extended weekend, less than 1/4" total. A few miles away they seem to have gotten quite a bit however.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
We hardly got any rain during the extended weekend, less than 1/4" total. A few miles away they seem to have gotten quite a bit however.
We got 3.5 inches of rain in Mount Laurel yesterday evening, and then another 1/2 inch before midnight!

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
You can really see the extreme difference in rainfall on this map of the past 7 days. As I said, Atlantic County got virtually no rain at all. Meanwhile, parts of Burlington County got as much as 6 inches!

Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 6.31.56 AM.png

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I drove on Kings Highway through Haddonfield yesterday and it looked like a tornado went through. You never saw so many downed trees.

In the Upper Pittsgrove area, trucks and trailers were blown over on their sides.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I drove on Kings Highway through Haddonfield yesterday and it looked like a tornado went through. You never saw so many downed trees.

In the Upper Pittsgrove area, trucks and trailers were blown over on their sides.

Haddon Heights, adjacent to Haddonfield, had the center of town fully flooded and trees down as well. Even the Patco trains were disrupted.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The next day I saw employees in my town at a storm drain with a shovel. Maybe they saw what happened there and decided they better look at their own.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
More weird weather patterns. Couple hours ago I noticed a storm began to spawn over Millville and gradually expand Eastward towards me. Sky got dark, thunder rumbled and then.... nothing. Still dry as as bone at my home, it stopped moving East and is still hanging over Millville but also extending Northward.

Looks like some of the same areas are getting hammered again in Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties. Who knows, we might still get some rain this evening.

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 3.48.01 PM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Flood Watch
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
259 AM EDT Sun Jul 9 2023

Kent-Inland Sussex-Delaware Beaches-Talbot-Caroline-Ocean-Cumberland-
Atlantic-Cape May-Atlantic Coastal Cape May-Coastal Atlantic-Coastal
Ocean-Southeastern Burlington-
Including the cities of Easton, Georgetown, Denton, Hammonton,
Dover, Jackson, Rehoboth Beach, Millville, Atlantic City, Wharton
State Forest, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, and Cape May Court House
259 AM EDT Sun Jul 9 2023

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH THIS
EVENING...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...Portions of Delaware...northeast Maryland...and southern
New Jersey...including the following areas...in Delaware...
Delaware Beaches, Inland Sussex, and Kent. In northeast Maryland...
Caroline and Talbot. In southern New Jersey...Atlantic, Atlantic
Coastal Cape May, Cape May, Coastal Atlantic, Coastal Ocean,
Cumberland, Ocean, and Southeastern Burlington.

* WHEN...From 2 PM EDT this afternoon through this evening.

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers,
creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- A slow moving line of thunderstorms is expected to cross the
region this afternoon and evening. Widespread rainfall
amounts of 1 to 2 inches are expected with localized amounts
of 3 to inches possible. These totals may result in flash
flooding especially in more urban locations.
- http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible Flood
Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared
to take action should flooding develop.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I watch the dewpoint before I go out into the woods just to see what I'm in for. This year it's been up in the 70's. I don't keep records of past years, but I don't recall it staying at even 69 for long periods. I wear field shirts of polyester or nylon blend. I took off a saturated one last week and draped it on my truck door in the sunshine, hoping it would dry out. After an hour, it was still wet.

1688912478381.png

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I watch the dewpoint before I go out into the woods just to see what I'm in for. This year it's been up in the 70's. I don't keep records of past years, but I don't recall it staying at even 69 for long periods. I wear field shirts of polyester or nylon blend. I took off a saturated one last week and draped it on my truck door in the sunshine, hoping it would dry out. After an hour, it was still wet.

View attachment 20209

That's so interesting that you say that, Bob. Yesterday I put my sunglasses on and stepped outside and so much condensation formed on my glasses that they nearly started dripping, and I thought to myself "that hasn't happened since I lived in Florida" (I used to live in Orlando).

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Got about and inch and a half at my place last night, we needed it. Here's the upated 7-day totals, Atlantic County really hasn't gotten much rain. Most of the shore has also seen very little rain. I went up Route 9 from Seaville to Marmora this morning and it looked like they hardly got any rain there.

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 3.10.04 PM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Quite a change in the forecast now. When I checked a couple hours ago, it called for between 1/4 to 1/2 inch rain today and 1/4 to 1/2 inch again tonight. Now it says less than 1/10 inch today and less than 1/10 inch tonight!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, it appears things are not going to be what was expected.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I woke up to an unexpected 0.5" of rain this morning in my rain gauge. Apparently we had a nice storm overnight. I agree with this_is_nascar, looks like tomorrow's a soaker.