Weymouth Furnace Diaries

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Did you notice the guy I have on my signature currently (J. Ventling) worked both at Martha and Weymouth? He must have been a valuable furnace worker even though one to snort a few now and then.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I think there was some type of epidemic at the time of the diaries. I imagine the type(s) of epidemics from this time could be found out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Is anybody reading this? If not I will stop transcribing them.

I am sorry to say I have not been. Not that I don't want to, I just have so many other things I have been doing which takes up most of my time.

Guy

bruset said:
Is anybody reading this? If not I will stop transcribing them.

I've been reading them, they're very interesting. Your posting them in whole is not what Bob had in mind though. I think what Bob had intended was one entry, on it's anniversary, would be posted and then discussed. Any day that there is an entry for that date the entry would be posted.

Steve

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah I know that's how Bob wanted to do it. I just figured that I could do it this way.

The diaries usually span several years so you'd often get different events for different years.

And even then, it's not like every event is interesting.

I'm going to stop transcribing. Anyone who wants to read more can check out "Family Empire in Jersey Iron" by Arthur Pierce. There is a whole chapter just on the Weymouth diary.

shetzer9213

Jun 24, 2004
Absecon
Just to chime in, I've been reading the diary entries. I found the mentions of the many deaths within families interesting, it makes me wonder what the causes were. And the fact that they appearred to drink quite a bit. I liked the mention of the canal, too. I cycle through that area frequently and didn't realize until just recently that the big ditch on the side of Weymouth Elwood road was actually a canal.