What is this building?

FenderGuitars777

Dec 12, 2010
Was marking places I've visited in Google Earth and noticed this a little ways from Friendship. Looks to be perfectly intact, but it doesn't seem occupied because there's no driveway or cars or anything, even when going through historical imagery?

Attachments

• rthethehys.jpg
    rthethehys.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 571

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the Pioneer Gun Club. I can post info later today.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We have discussed this club on numerous occasions and I still am uncertain if the state owns it or not. I keep forgetting to check into it. In any event, HistoricAerials shows that it was not there in 1956 but it was in 1963. That property was part of the Friendship Bogs tract, and there is a possibility when the Friendship Forest Lakes Corporation purchased the property they sold off that small lot to the club. I have a survey from 1981 that says the state acquired it, but it has been in use since then and as late as 5 years or so ago Ed saw a large party there. For a while a vehicle was there and the lock on the gate is new and I have viewed fresh tire tracks on the property as recent as a few months ago. There is a possibility it was acquired by the state with lifetime rights for the club so they still can use it. I really don't know. It is 3.085 acres and there is at least one interesting property stone on the edge of the property and I have found another one which is not so interesting. I have found all the other corners except one.

If anyone wants to do some research it is Lot 5 Block 15 in Washington Township. It actually is called the Pioneer Sportsmans Club.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Scott!

Look this over and tell me what you think. This is what has been confusing me. It states that the property was acquired but maybe that is the date this particular owner acquired it. Or there is a possibility the sale fell through to the state.

pioneer.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now we know it was built in 1960. I have a 1961 survey when it was owned by the Friendship Forest Lakes Corporation that does not show the property being separate from the Friendship Bog property. So the club may have been built and later it was divided. Just guessing.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks Scott!

Look this over and tell me what you think. This is what has been confusing me. It states that the property was acquired but maybe that is the date this particular owner acquired it. Or there is a possibility the sale fell through to the state.

Judging by the evidence thus far, I would say it is likely that the sale fell through.
The tax records are current that indicate the private ownership.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
First of all, you should play more Gibsons:rofl: Just kidding of course. it is a gun club, Guy will recall the name for you.

Jeff

Years ago, while waiting for my daughter during music lessons I had the chance to play a Gibson J200. It was without a doubt the best guitar I've ever held. Tried to convince my wife I really needed one, but she wouldn't go for it, something about the price :)

Sorry didn't mean to go off subject.
Greg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Not wanting to start another thread on the Pioneer Gun Club, I will simply add to this one. For the past two weekends, I have been searching for Gentians in the general area of the gun club and have come up empty handed. Like everyone else, I am short on time but have great expectations. None the less, I managed to spend several hours hiking/exploring and would like to share several photos. This trio is of the building.

The rusting gate.
pioneer1sm.jpg

The Pioneer Gun Club
pioneersm3.jpg

The infamous coordinates.
pioneer2sm.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The red on the roof was not there years ago. Sorry to hear you did not find Gentian there.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The red on the roof was not there years ago. Sorry to hear you did not find Gentian there.

Guy

Thanks Teegate, but it is still early and there is much more area I need to cover. I think I will be able to find them. I really enjoy this area. The forest floor is open with only scrub brush along the floor. The canopy shades the area nicely too.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
3.085 acres.

It would be interesting to learn how that place came about. It was part of the Friendhip Bog property and somehow that little piece of property was carved out of it. Garfield DeMarco eventually owned the property next to it and the Friendship Forest Lakes Corp eventually acquired Friendship Bogs. Now the state owns it all and this place is an island.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Interesting that there's a fresh handicap parking sign in front of it.

The club is still active and there are current no trespassing signs posted on the perimeter of the property. I walked the outside of the barbed wire fence and used a telephoto lens for the picture of the coordinates.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I had come across a few things years ago while researching the property.

In the beginning of 1935 Evans and Wills (owners of the extensive Friendship tract) sold 61.49 acres to J. Garfield Alloway who was the primary manager of the Friendship cranberry bogs for many years. I believe that the property was purchased for the purpose of planting blueberries which had just begun to be cultivated on a large scale. The foundations on the property must certainly date to this era. This piece was on the extreme southern portion of the 2000+ acre Friendship tract. It is unclear how just 12 years later the one Harold T. Parker and his wife sold the same tract back to J. Garfield Alloway as well as Mark Alloway (April 1947) with the provision that the property become vested in the survivor upon the other's death. I think it is important to note that the Friendship cranberry bogs were quite active during this time period. Not long after, J. Garfield Alloway passed away (1951) and the property was held by Mark Alloway and his wife. At the beginning of 1958, the couple sold a small 3.086 acre part of their property to the Pioneer Sportman's Club of Pitman. It is likely that the building there was constructed sometime within the following year or two as tax records indicate the structure dates to 1960. It appears that the club has maintained ownership of the property to this day. The balance of the land was sold by the Alloways in 1970 to J. Garfield DeMarco.

Oriental

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Rich! Garfield still owned the property next to it as late as 1981 on a survey I have. That would be Lot 6 Block 15 and Lot 4 Block 15. The gun club is Lot 5 Block 15.

Guy