Wheaton Glass Dump

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
A seven acre parcel of land has recently been acquired in Vineland as part of the development of a golf course. https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...ke-trout-tiger-woods-golf-course/70053455007/ Partners in the golf course will include Tiger Woods and Mike Trout, as well as the owner of Northeast Precast (Millville NJ). Part of this abandoned parcel of land started out as a sand/clay pit. It is my understanding that J. Morie and Co was the company that mined this small pit. Morie had a larger pit across the other side of Hancebridge Rd. as well as a few miles west down Mayslanding Rd. At some point it began to be used as a dumping sight for Wheaton Glass Co. beginning in the mid or late 60s until sometime in the 70s based off of historicaerials.com. Growing up riding in the pits around this area I've always known this spot to be called the glass hills. The glass piles include different colored glass such as Avon bottles of various shapes and sizes, cream colored coffee mugs, medicine bottles, cologne, etc. I will add some pictures of some these glass products at some point. Every piece I have ever found has always had an imperfection which is most likely the reason for them discarding it. The most interesting pieces have been picked through over the decades but interestingly, as they are cleaning the area to make way for the golf course, workers with an excavator dug down through 14ft of glass. Wheaton's must have filled in some holes previously dug from sand mining. All these years we always thought there were just a few piles of glass that had been spread out but 14ft of solid glass...it's a wonder why it wasn't melted down and re used but maybe the colors weren't able to be reused at the time. https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.411709/-75.003467/njgin2002/0.00/0.00

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is the spot where they've been cutting down tons of trees, right? I've been driving by wondering what was going on there.

I believe so. I will ask my daughter. I recognized the "Northeast Precast" mentioned by 66C10 and have heard my daughter mention that name. I asked her and she knew all about the place since she works nearby.

Reactions: teleflux and 66C10