Where was Davis Grove?

They date back to 1931. You can see the date in the cement.

cow.JPG

Guy

Thanks, Guy—that is what I could not remember and I am too busy right now to pull out my research file to check the date. Based on that year, the NJ SHD built them during the original construction phase of Route 40. I don’t recall seeing anything on the drawings, but, then again, I was intensely looking at the buildings along the roadway and not the bridges and other structures under the roadway, so I probably missed them. When I go back, I will double-check the drawings and copy anything relative to the tunnels for you (and for my files as well!!).

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And unbelievably I have a photo from that Sunoco taken in 1977. Don't even ask me why it was taken :bang:

Actually, I didn't take it. I think the price was 55 cents. That would be about correct because I have a very rare photo taken from my car of Henneckers on Route 72 at what is now Barnegat Wreckers and that says 55 cents also.

SunocoMedford6_77.jpg

Guy

I dunno, Guy—I think we need to designate you as official photo-historian of South Jersey gas stations! You do have some amazing images.

Based on the broadside in the window, Sunoco should consider bringing back the “Penny Pinching Pump”!! About now, I could really get use to visiting a gas station where the manager states “My pump could save you money”!!

Note the official station mascot sitting in the doorway—what appears to be a long-hair, tortoise-shell colored cat!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The woman was the attendant. It was Sunday morning around 7:30AM and she was the only one there. I don't think you would see that today. And obviously we were heading to the pines!

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Seems like Guy was taking shots of ladies without their knowledge long before a certain other party we all know. Shame shame you dirty bastid.

g.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
This thread has some familiar places. The company I work for had its office down Chairville Rd. and they used to get their vehicles serviced at that Sunoco where the bosses son worked for a while. Do you remember the old garage behind the Sunoco where an old man repaired vacuum cleaners?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This thread has some familiar places. The company I work for had its office down Chairville Rd. and they used to get their vehicles serviced at that Sunoco where the bosses son worked for a while. Do you remember the old garage behind the Sunoco where an old man repaired vacuum cleaners?

I do remember that vacuum shop on route 70. That shop lasted long after progress made him stick out like a sore thumb. Wasn't that shop on south side of route 70 west of the medford circle?

A

anghew025

Thank you VERY, VERY much for your efforts Jersey! It is GREATLY appreciated! Although nothing turned up this time, I am confident the mystery will unfold. My husband and I were talking about the station last night over dinner. He had the thought of contacting Gulf. Surely they must keep a record of all of their stations past and present. I also had the idea that if you found a mechanic named James then maybe there is paper trail somewhere that will give us a list of real estate he owned, which in turn would reveal any addresses. Just a few thoughts and THANK YOU AGAIN. My husband and I are planning a road trip so we can just start driving & looking...we just don't know where to start. Starting points are over rated anyway. :rofl:

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
oji:

The old guy worked in an old garage behind a gas station repairing vacuums?
Geez—that really, like, sucks, man!!!! :dance:

Ever warped in his sense of humor,
Jerseyman

He found a job where your end product really sucks and the customer happily pays you. I don't see a down side.:):rofl: Bob, The vacuum repair shop was right behind the Sunoco by Medport Diner.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My mom purchased all her vacuum products there. I am wondering if that place may have been the building that a former gas station may have used as there little store for their customers such as Davis Grove. The gas station would have been where the Sunoco was, with the store next to it.

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Not sure if this helps anything but I find this photograph remarkably interesting. It's amazing what a single picture can do to spark one's curiosity. I wanted to get a date on Gulf logos and this was the closest thing I found:

http://www.motorheadhotspots.com/id62.html

Scroll about half way down and you will see the Gulf logos. I believe the logo in the picture is the one used from 1936-1960. If this website is correct than the picture was taken sometime after 1936. I was just trying to date the picture. It is fun trying to figure this out.

Oct 25, 2006
My mom purchased all her vacuum products there. I am wondering if that place may have been the building that a former gas station may have used as there little store for their customers such as Davis Grove. The gas station would have been where the Sunoco was, with the store next to it.

Guy

Concerning the vacuum cleaner. store at Evesboro-Medford Road and Rt.70, my friend who lives in Tabernacle at one time worked at the old Acme store on Rt.70, he said that the vacuum cleaner store was either named Alva or Action.

He also stated that the store then located to somewhere in Cherry Hill, he also said that he does not know if it is still open, as the man who ran the store was in ill health.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Alva relocated to Clements Bridge Road and the Black Horse Pike in Runnemede and has since moved. I doubt it was the same store. The man running the shack at 70 and Evesboro Medford Road was quite old when I was a kid. You saying that does bring back memories of something like that happening, so there always is a possibility that his son may have been involved and I just did not know that. I will call my mom.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim,

I called my mom and since my brother is in bed I can't get the full story. However, it may have been called Alva as you said. But I am certain the old man running it when I was a kid could not have been the one to continue the store in Runnemede. As I said it may have been a son who kept the business going and moved to Runnemede. That store burned down with the Runnemede Supply store about 20 years ago and it was rebuilt. The new store was quite modern with different people so somewhere along the line I suspect it was bought out or something. Eventually they moved and a camera store is now at that location.

Trailhead,

Concerning the date of the gas station, I think it is almost certain that you are correct if that is Route 70. We have proof the cow tunnel was built in 1931 and the road in that photo is a cement road just like 70. It has to be after 1931 with the facts we have now.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Jim,

I called my mom and since my brother is in bed I can't get the full story. However, it may have been called Alva as you said. But I am certain the old man running it when I was a kid could not have been the one to continue the store in Runnemede. As I said it may have been a son who kept the business going and moved to Runnemede. That store burned down with the Runnemede Supply store about 20 years ago and it was rebuilt. The new store was quite modern with different people so somewhere along the line I suspect it was bought out or something. Eventually they moved and a camera store is now at that location.

Trailhead,

Concerning the date of the gas station, I think it is almost certain that you are correct if that is Route 70. We have proof the cow tunnel was built in 1931 and the road in that photo is a cement road just like 70. It has to be after 1931 with the facts we have now.

Guy

Guy

http://www.alvaonline.com/alvahistory.htm

I just did a web search and posted the above link. The business is now located in Glendora. As you will see on the site, click on the History of the store. The name Action keeps on ringing a bell.

I just did another search for Action Vacuum Cleaners in Medford and what came up was only references for Action Plumbing in Vorhees, but what amazed me was when i was scanning the direction map for it, as i came to Hartford Road and Rt.70, the intersection is called Shinntown, first time i ever heard of that name.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So then it wasn't Alva.

Lets discuss the year of Davis Grove. Does everyone agree that is a cement road? If so, how long would it take oil to accumulate in the center of a road that noticeable after a new road opens? With the oil running out of the engines back then, would it take one year, two years, 5 years for the line to form that noticeable? So if the road was built in 1931 could it have been 1935?

Also, could we be talking about Route 72 and not 70? There were gas stations on 72 near the circle that are not there today. When I get a minute later tonight I will give that evidence.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just 1.8 mile east on Route 72 in 1935 there was a Sunoco gas station. For all we know in 1934 or earlier it may have been a Gulf. We know this gas station existed because there is a geodetic marker along route 72 that is named NJ 105 and the description of it mentions the gas station. Here is the 1935 description of the location of the marker and the location of the gas station.

The marker is here with the station across 72. Notice Sunoco is spelled Sonoco.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.88...733&spn=0.003128,0.004501&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr

DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1935 (JB)
THE STATION IS A STANDARD DISK PUT IN THE PLACE OF N.J. 105, THE
EXACT PURPOSE OF THE MONUMENT IS NOT KNOWN BUT IS BELIEVED TO BE
A BOUNDARY MONUMENT OF THE LEBANON STATE FOREST. THE MARK IS IN
WOODLAND TOWNSHIP, 16.0 MILES SOUTHWEST AIRLINE OF LAKEHURST,
ABOUT 9 MILES SOUTHEAST OF PEMBERTON, ON NORTH SIDE OF STATE
HIGHWAY 40 S, 1.9 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE JUNCTION OF STATE
HIGHWAY 40, ABOUT 200 YARDS EAST-SOUTHEAST OF A BLUE SONOCO
FILLING STATION AND BEER STAND, ON THE NORTH EDGE OF A NEW
HIGHWAY RIGHT-OF-WAY LINE, 36 PACES NORTH OF A SIGN, BEER
COCA COLA, AND 31 PACES NORTH-NORTHEAST OF THE CENTERLINE OF
STATE HIGHWAY 40 S. THE MARK PROJECTS 6 INCHES AND IS
STAMPED N J 105 1935, NOTES 1A AND 7A.

TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE STANDPIPE IN LAKEHURST, GO
SOUTHWEST ON STATE HIGHWAY 40 FOR 18.2 MILES TO A TRAFFIC CIRCLE,
BEAR LEFT AROUND THE CIRCLE (ABOUT 250 DEG) AND GO SOUTHEAST ON
STATE HIGHWAY 40 S FOR 1.2 MILES TO STATE COLONY (AN INSTITUTION
FOR AFFLICTED BOYS), CONTINUE 0.7 MILE TO THE STATION ON THE
LEFT WHICH IS ABOUT 150 YARDS BEYOND A BLUE SONOCO FILLING
STATION AND A BEER STAND.

In 1939 we found it was now an Esso.

RECOVERY NOTE BY NEW JERSEY GEODETIC SURVEY 1939
DESCRIPTION IS CORRECT, EXCEPT THAT THE BLUE SONOCO STATION IS
NOW AN ESSO STATION. STATION, AZIMUTH AND REFERENCE MARKS ARE
IN GOOD CONDITION. THE STATION IS 16.0 MILES (AIRLINE) SOUTHWEST
OF LAKEHURST.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I agree the road in the picture is cement. You can see the expansion joints. Also both roads were NJ-40. Does anyone know someone in Chatsworth who is around 80 years old. The older folks are a great source of info.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just 1.8 mile east on Route 72 in 1935 there was a Sunoco gas station. For all we know in 1934 or earlier it may have been a Gulf. Guy

Very good bit of detective work Guy. You may be on to something. When did the CCC plant the grove of pines in that area I wonder.