Who lived/worked here?

Yesterday I was looking around the spot marked on this map.
abd.jpg
It is from Cook's Atlas sheet 12. I found nothing there other than a possible cellar hole and some Sassafras trees on the south side of the road. The tree population was very sparse in the area and is near that large washed out area by the river. Does anyone know anything about this area?

Steve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
B

BarryC

Al,
I've never been to where you have the first area marked. The second area is along the Leektown Road, which I've driven on many times. I never noticed stuff along it.
Could be worth a trip, since I don't live too far from there.
Barry
manumuskin said:
Heres a couple areas I have the same question about BEHR,any takers?The first area is a bunch of concrete walls and foundations along the lower wading and the second is off slightly.the best holes are on the north side of the road.theirs three different areas strung out along this stretch of road.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?n=4387319&e=0542612&z=18&datum=NAD27

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?n=4385966&e=0544558&z=18&datum=NAD83

manumuskin said:
I don"t know anything about it BEHR but did you check the small area just south of it?
AL

I did not check that other area other than to note that it is at the bog and is very over grown. I did check an area off of Washington Rd a few hundred feet before you get to Mount. I never noticed before but there is a road that cuts into the woods to the right if you are coming in from Penn Swamp. The road is almost un-noticable as it looks as if it has not been driven on in many years. It is blanketed with pine needles. I walked in a short distance to an area with very tall pines sparsely set. These look like the same type that Barry had pointed out to us at Nash's. (chime in any time Barry). The road was hard to disern at times and did not go far back. It was a very nice spot with no brush. Here again I found no evidence of habitation. From there I had intended to go to Washington but the road was blocked and it was late so I headed home.

Steve

B

BarryC

Are you talking about the White Pines that are on both sides of the road before you reach Nash's? I'll have to check that area out. It's amazing how many roads are in the Pines, and how many I have not been on yet.
Barry
BEHR655 said:
I walked in a short distance to an area with very tall pines sparsely set. These look like the same type that Barry had pointed out to us at Nash's. (chime in any time Barry).

Steve

BarryC said:
Are you talking about the White Pines that are on both sides of the road before you reach Nash's? I'll have to check that area out. It's amazing how many roads are in the Pines, and how many I have not been on yet.
Barry

Yes, those are the Pines, very tall with high crowns. The road is very hard to notice so keep an eye out for it a few hundred feet west of Mount.

Steve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
BEHR,
The south side of the road where your red cross is on the map if you looka at the 1890 topo of the area it shows this to be a cleared field.This may be why the woods appear piney but different.I"ve noticed that a lot of the most beautiful spots in the pines seem to have been touched by the heavy hand of man at one time.Have you ever seen anything more beautiful then a cranberry bog returning to it"s wild state half full of sapling red maples on fire in early october?Same goes for high ground when an old field is growing up.We can uglify the heck out of a piece of ground and give the earth a century or less and it does one heck of a job at healing an ugly scar:)
Al

Al,

I agree. I think that the cross roads at Mount is one of the neatest spots in the Pines. There are many places that are much more beautiful but there is something about Mount. The area was in the same area as shown on Cook's Atlas sheet #12

Steve