Rarities

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
A fox isn't fully dressed for a formal affair without it's gloves! (Agalinis, although I said Gerardia when I saw them)

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
003.JPG Prenanthes autumnalis- this photo is from today.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice Tom! I figured they were about ready when I looked at them earlier. They are so much taller than the one I was watching.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A fox isn't fully dressed for a formal affair without it's gloves! (Agalinis, although I said Gerardia when I saw them)

Thanks for the tip. I assume this saying is something you learned to identify them?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

Here is the one I was watching that a few years ago was taller than me. The arrow points to the top of it. This was yesterday.

IMG_08090000.jpg

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Guy,

The first is purple foxglove (native) Agalinis purpurea (I love the detail that you captured!) and the second one looks like pine barrens sandwort....it's towards the end of its bloom period. I just saw some of the folxglove in Cape May this week on the hiking trail. There was some Rhexia aristosa there too. AND some of the Lycopus we saw on our last outing..... :)

Terry

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji, I found Symphyotrichum concolor besides the gun club Tresses. The stem covered with appressed leaves is how I identified the single specimen. The flowers where white and wilted. BTW - It was impressive to see so many orchids in one area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

The first is purple foxglove (native) Agalinis purpurea (I love the detail that you captured!) and the second one looks like pine barrens sandwort....it's towards the end of its bloom period. I just saw some of the folxglove in Cape May this week on the hiking trail. There was some Rhexia aristosa there too. AND some of the Lycopus we saw on our last outing..... :)

Terry

Thanks Terry!

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
View attachment 2667 Another picture from the Rutgers Ag museum. Not sure how rare it is.
Not rare at all in Maurice River twp.have found this extrordinary plant quite a few times in the past.It always seems to be accomopanied by fertilizer bags,water jugs and miracle grow bottles.Quite a beautiful little plant that has led to more then a few wasted lives I know of.Always in moderation.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice one Tom! You have to mention that was a few months back and they no longer are blooming.

I photographed them this year in various stages of growth. It was interesting.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Yeah, not a lot left blooming now, but I did see at least a thousand (low estimation!)PB Gentians in bloom on Sunday.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yeah, not a lot left blooming now, but I did see at least a thousand (low estimation!)PB Gentians in bloom on Sunday.

Gentian curve? Teegate was kind enough to help with tips to several locations this year for the Gentian, but I also found a dozen or more roadside this year. The rain we had seemed to help the blooms this Fall. I didn't come across any Fringed Gentians in my travels, as of yet.​