Rarities

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
031.JPG Different names for this one and it is currently being studied genetically so I'll stick with Tofieldia racemosa for now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When you break down the genetics in your lab let us know what it really is.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji, an acre of bright blue must have been impressive. The False Asphodel, is it almost always found within areas that Narthecium is located?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
003.JPG Some of the people on the trip jokingly called these Gentian trees. I was told that the estimated amount of plants was 12-20 thousand depending on conditions during the year.

Reactions: John

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
View attachment 2731 Some of the people on the trip jokingly called these Gentian trees. I was told that the estimated amount of plants was 12-20 thousand depending on conditions during the year.

Tom, without revealing the location (I'm gonna guess Warren Grove), what is it about the location that makes it so friendly to gentian? I was on a tour of the range once, and did see a lot in between these rows...down in moist swales.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
It's an open field so availability of sunlight, they call a moist dry area so hydrology might be one reason. I believe part of it is burned part is disced and part left alone, so the disturbance must play a big part. Or a combination of many things?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
No picture, but on Saturday I saw a Turtle with lipstick;)

I hope you are aware that it's a huge rarity. There's no guarantee that you'll see it every year. Similar to the population of Formalis botanic exploris that I found on the same evening. Perhaps it's a symbiotic relationship that causes them to appear together?