Black's Stone Updated

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Yea that looks like a job in itself just trying to read the map, at least I can put that mystery behind me. Beck must of had the wrong year and added a G in there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I needed to look over some tax records at the Chatsworth tax office, so I took today off to do just that. Unfortunately, after arriving there I learned the Chatsworth Municipal offices are closed every Friday. So we decided to search for a few of the Black stones and headed to that area. I have recently figured out where at least three of them should be. On the way there I visited one of the Chamberlain monument placed there in 1959. The cedar post laying next to it was there even then showing how long cedar posts hang around.

IMG_1826.JPG

The first two stones were a bust so we headed to the third. I was roaming in the woods along the road while Jessica walked the road. She found it just sticking out of the ground two feet off the road. This stone was there as far back as 1859 and maybe longer. It is part of the Black survey and the Chamberlain tract.

IMG_1832.JPG

Standing in the road.

IMG_1836.JPG

Guy

buckykattnj

Scout
Feb 22, 2010
Atlantic County At-Large
I think the JM 1742 is an actual real time date when Mathis bought the land.The WP 1700 date I believe was back dated possibly to when Pancoast bought it???? There is a Pancoast Mill down near Ricland.Wonder if it is the same person? Might be more stones in Deep Run swamp??? :)

Pancoast's Mill was owned by Ambrose Pancoast. His wife was Rebecca Pancoast. I don't know if they were related to William Pancoast. I also don't know exactly when they lived... but they are buried in the nearby Friendship M.E. Church, so that info could likely be procured with a road trip.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

With Daylight Savings Time over I decided to resume stone searching at 5AM. I got on 295 around 5:15 and became the center vehicle of a convoy of telephone poles heading for the shore. I was able to get past them on 70 and quickly picked up the pace and moved on my way. At 5:52 I took this photo on route 532. Extra points if you can give the exact location.

IMG_1888.JPG

I checked the beavers at Webbs Mill and they have the pipe completely clogged and the road is still flooded. Then off to find one of the Black stones that has thoroughly frustrated me. Repeated attempts and a few blunders where I never put the coordinates in my GPS just had to end. Doing my homework here and doing it correctly makes life so much easier, and this time it payed off. I walked right to it without a problem.

Again, placed there by surveyor George Sykes in 1859.

IMG_1892.JPG

6:38 AM

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

I had a few minutes before I had to leave so I searched out and found one of the monuments for the Eureka Gun Club property. I was actually looking for another Black's stone with a letter B incised on it but could not find it. I doubt this one is there but I had to give it a shot.

IMG_1898.JPG

Then off for home for a late breakfast at the in-laws at 9:30. It was interesting to see the various vehicles heading towards the shore on 72 and 70 early in the morning. Contractor vehicles were prevalent and there were convoys of Servepro vehicles with out of state tags heading there for water cleanup. Traffic was heavy in that direction while I moved quite well for home.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is that spot on 532 the hill near Chatsorth on the way to 72?

Sure is! I took a bunch of them but fet this one would be the best to use. I sure do love driving to the pines in the early morning.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Update: I headed out early again this morning to look for stones near the ruins of the gun club we discussed here that Jessica and I were at when the sonic boom occurred a few weeks back. It looked slightly different on my way there.

IMG_1958.JPG

Anyway, while walking down the road in front of the location of the ruins I noticed this written in black marker.

IMG_1967.JPG

Ends here??? What did that mean? I headed on, and as I passed the ruins I figured it out. Apparently, the club is still active and it is private property. The owner(s) in recent days had been there and put up signs warning that it was private property. The "Ends Here" was them telling us the state property ends here. Maybe they saw my post or maybe they recently put the signs up because hunting season is about to begin. It still is a gun club called Button Buck Club.

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

I guess they ran out of No Trespassing signs and were looking after our health.

IMG_1961.JPG

I did a search and found out they live in Forked River so I gave them a call a short while ago. Unfortunately, the phone number I had was out of service. I will mail them a letter and maybe we can learn a little history on the place. Hopefully, I can meet them there one day and we can talk.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, the Ocean County tax map does not show that property which is why I did not know it was private.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank Bob! BTW, I think I called the wrong individuals. In any event, I will write them and ask if they are related. I guess I should just go back and leave a note in a plastic container.

Guy