Batona Trail Re-route

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
i hiked the new re-route Saturday morn. they did a great job on it :) No road walk anymore and plenty of water. the trail has paths, swamp, bridges, dirt roads and a few water hazards thrown in. it is 7.2 miles between rt. 532 and rt.72. took me about 2+ hours. it is definitely a section to get out and see.

Photos
GPX there was a glitch in the first 1/4 mile of tracking :(

TY
KK&K
and Merry Christmas

Reactions: glowordz

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I believe they opened that section in May.
that section must be the one I came across while stone hunting east of southern Allen road.it was headed toward the southern terminus in one direction and then crossed Allen road and headed toward the remainder of the trail.It was blazed with Pink rectangles.I figgered it was a new section of trail.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That looks like a very nice re-route through Parker. It appears alittle wet.

Karl, will you be hanging at Batona this January?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks for posting the photographs Karl. I have never gotten around to hiking the area behind Chatsworth Lake, even though I have hawked over the aerials wondering what the land looked like behind there. I wonder if the Batona will ever be rerouted again through Sooy(?) Preserve just above the lake. An addition such as that would add even more miles to the Batona.

stump jumper

Apr 29, 2012
life long tabernacle
i did the whole new trail back in Oct. the new fpp.section is now the best section of the trail i think. great job to those who blazed that new section . there is some tough walking back in oct. the under growth was freshly cut and hard on soles of your feet . it should wear down in time .

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Th old route in that section went down paved streets and back yards that sprang up since the origional trail was laid out.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Is the new route completely blazed now? And as for the old route, did they remove the blazes in some form or put up a sign saying to not take the old route?

The new route is completely blazed. The old route is still blazed and there are no use restrictions for hikers. The re-route at Bass River has a sign, a trail register (until, unfortunately, somebody probably steals it) and a map posted. The other re-route through Franklin Parker Preserve also has maps and signs posted. There are paper maps available at some of the re-route locations.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Andy, one bit of advice I would give you is to go in mid-latter March as opposed to April or May. The ticks are at their absolute worst when it starts warming into the 70's in the spring. If you still do decide to go in April or May, treat your clothes and footwear with permethrin and check yourself over good for ticks before you turn in for the night. I have had Lyme Disease. Trust me, you don't want it.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Hey Andy, you can actually do your first day of a thru-hike on the Batona without a pack. Here's how I've done it. I start at Ong's Hat and plan my first night stop at Batona Camp or Lower Forge. On my start day I drive early that morning to whichever location I'll be spending the night and cache my backpack, tent, sleeping bag, food, gear and some firewood. Then that first day I just carry some water and a little food, without any weight on my back. You can cache additional provisions along the trail. Just make sure you package any food you cache in such a way that an animal will not detect its odor, or you'll be doing a thru-fast of the Batona Trail. :D

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
IMGP8847.JPG

visited the southern end Saturday

Attachments

• IMGP8846.JPG
    IMGP8846.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 412
  • IMGP8845.JPG
    IMGP8845.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 457

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Hey Karl, did you sign the trail register that's in the bird house looking box attached to the tree? If you did, did you read that one comment somebody made who was hiking through there at night who taunted the Jersey Devil to come get him? Ummm...not that I have any idea who might have written that...[BLUSH]