Aerial Harrisville Photos

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Thought you may all enjoy a unique perspective on what is left of Harrisville. This is clearly a very fragile site and thankfully the fence prevents anyone from further damage or possible injury. Here is some video as well:
iP8udEIY7c0

Attachments

• DJI00086.JPG
    DJI00086.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 431
  • DJI00090.JPG
    DJI00090.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 369
Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can see why they don't want people walking around it. I hope they don't see your photo's or they will have 24 hour armed guards :D

Reactions: WaretownMike

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I love these aerial shots. Harrisville is really a special place. We (people from this site) did a get-together there probably about 10 years ago when I got the state to let us in the fence.

I am really surprised that wall is still standing through all of the hurricanes, nor'easters, and whatnot that we've had since 1914 when the factory burnt down.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
The well (artesian?) was running today while I was there. At least I assune it was a fresh water well which was enclosed by a 4 ft high wall with a concrete cap. Probably fresher than city water.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The well (artesian?) was running today while I was there. At least I assune it was a fresh water well which was enclosed by a 4 ft high wall with a concrete cap. Probably fresher than city water.

You don't want to drink that though. You will be magnetic after doing it.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Nice video. Ben, that outing was on4/16/2005. You gave us a tour of the ruins and also of the town. It's sad the ruins have to be kept behind a fence. To really appreciate it have to walk through and under it, truly massive!

IMG_0026s.JPG

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
My big question. How did you do this ?
An intricate system of pulleys, levers, and balloons. Actually, this was done with a remote control quad copter equipped with HD Video camera and high res photo camera. It was very tricky flying it through all of the overhanging trees and a little hard to gauge the distance when it's 150 feet away. I'd love to have footage of the southern side of the large wall but there's just too many unknown obstacles to see when at a distance

Any suggestions on my next flyover?

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
I can see the headline now... drone crashes into Harrisville ruins, walls collapse!:D Seriously, some great footage and certainly a unique perspective! You do wonder how those walls remain standing. In the earthquake a few years back there was a building in Bridgeton that came down!