A Mink Caching Food w/Video

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
While enjoying a cold and uneventful muzzleloader hunt yesterday afternoon, I was entertained for about twenty minutes by a mink working a stream edge. Someone had apparently killed a deer a day or two earlier and had placed the gut pile in this shallow stream to try and minimize the disturbance to the area.

The mink emerged from the woods around 4:40 pm, just before sunset. He went to the area where the gut pile was located and began tugging away. He would then take pieces and cache them in a tree cavity next to the stream. I watched him do it at least 5 times and was able to capture a grainy, Bigfoot sighting quality video on my iPhone. The quality really took a dive after zooming.
The mink is in the crotch of a double maple in the beginning of the video and he makes a complete round trip in about 40 seconds. I got out of my tree at the around 5:15 at near dark and he was still at it.

I took a few stills too.

Enjoy !!

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    914.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 175

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Very cool! I often cite things such as this among the reasons I hunt. It's not so much about the kill, which is the tiniest part of the overall experience, but all the other things you witness that you would not likely see under any other circumstances.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very cool! I often cite things such as this among the reasons I hunt. It's not so much about the kill, which is the tiniest part of the overall experience, but all the other things you witness that you would not likely see under any other circumstances.

You hit the nail on the head German. There is no better place to be.

Reactions: 46er