PPA Launches "Pinelands Adventures"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is at the Adams Canoe Rental. I have to assume they either purchased the property or are renting the equipment.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just found the deed, The deed for the PPA purchase was made on January 13, 2015 for $350,000.00 with a recording fee of $80. and a Reality Transfer Fee of $650. The clerk received the deed on 1/16/2015.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I got this e-mail from the PPA today and took the survey

PPA is about to launch a new recreation initiative in the Pinelands and we need your help.

We are conducting a survey with members and friends to better understand your preferences and needs regarding recreation in the Pinelands. Participation in this research is completely voluntary.

Your opinions and comments are valuable to us and we hope you will participate!

Please be assured that the information you provide in the survey is confidential.

The survey should take only about 10 minutes to complete. If you get interrupted, you can come back to the survey at a later time and finish it. Please submit your answers by March 16.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and we thank you in advance for your cooperation.

https://s.zoomerang.com/s/PinelandsPreservation

The whole thing doesn't interest me and it makes me wonder what is going on at PPA. Are they are competing with private businesses now using their tax exempt status, public funding and private donations? If so, I think that is wrong.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The whole thing doesn't interest me and it makes me wonder what is going on at PPA. Are they are competing with private businesses now using their tax exempt status, public funding and private donations? If so, I think that is wrong.

I imagine they will be charging for these 'adventures'. Who is ensuring those fee's are used the way they should be for a non-profit? Will a portion be going to Wharton or elsewhere? Unfortunately the PPA does not put their annual report on their web site. As I've said before; non-profits in this state need oversight.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I trust PPA in this venture. I only give them a small membership fee each year. They receive money from many sources. If this helps promote the Pine Barrens by making more people on our side against development I'm all for it.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Looks like hunting isn't much of a consideration as a Pinelands activity in the survey. :mad:
There are data fields where it can be input manually.
I gave this site an A+ as a source for Pinelands information ! :)

I have never been one for organized activities and guided trips. I much prefer to learn about something and then go explore it on my own.
However, I have learned more about the Pines' history and seen more remote, natural areas and ghost towns in my 10 years with PBX than I would have ever seen on my own.
Plus, we have homemade wine and high end beers at the end of every outing. I bet PPA won't be offering that !
:D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well "becky@pinelandsalliance.org" sent out that e-mail and survey, so PPA staff and resources were used to promote Pinelands Adventures and their website is in the .org domain. However their LinkedIn page says "Public Company".

https://www.linkedin.com/company/pinelands-adventures

Public Company
  • Headquarters
    1005 Atsion Rd Shamong, NJ08088 United States
  • Company Size
    1-10 employees
  • Founded

Kevin Sparkman

Mar 27, 2015
Medford, NJ
Greetings. I serve on PPA's board of trustees and have been involved in helping set up the new Pinelands Adventures at the Atsion Recreation Area with the acquisition of Adam's Canoe on Atsion Road next to Atsion Lake. As some of you know, Mr. Adams had been trying to sell his home and the canoe livery for more than 3 years. Several years ago, PPA had created "Pinelands Adventures" and offered naturalist led hikes, historical tours, Jersey Devil hunts, the Tour de Pines bike rides, etc. The opportunity to acquire Mr. Adam's property presented PPA with a unique opportunity to create a base of operations for an expanded Pinelands Adventures program to introduce more people in the region to the natural beauty and unique environmental resources of the Pine Barrens. The purchase of the property was made possible only through the support of William Penn Foundation and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and other foundations. The foundation's interests, in part, include getting more young people and underserved communities into the outdoors to encourage healthy nature-based recreation. PPA's mission is advocacy for the ongoing protection of the Pinelands. An essential component of that mission is helping more people in the region (New Jersey, Delaware Valley) experience this unique wilderness area to understand what's at stake if we don't continue to support protection under the Pinelands Comprehensive Management Plan. We are excited about this new program and hope that you'll stop in and visit (After April 25) to meet the Pinelands Adventure team headed by Rob Ferber. If you have questions, you can reach out to Rob at rob@pinelandsadventures.org or feel free to contact me at ksparkman@comcast.net. Best wishes, Kevin

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
New PPA sign at the old Adams Canoe Rentals
IMG_7316.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, they even purchased (acquired) the phone number. It is the same as Adams. Thanks Don!