Penn Swamp Branch, a PBX Explore

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Guy, it appears that you did not totally understand my comments. We definitely saw two species of iris in flower on the day of our trip: yours at the beginning of the report which is the Slender Blue Flag, Iris prismatica, and Scott's, which is the Larger or Northern Blue Flag, Iris versicolor. Simply replace your fuzzy image of Iris prismatica on this page with your clear image near the beginning of the report. It would help further if at the beginning you would change your caption to read "Slender Blue Flag, Iris prismatica." Scott needs to change his caption to "Larger or Northern Blue Flag, Iris versicolor." His photo is not Iris prismatica.

Ted,

That was my fuzzy pic from my cell phone.
I did act on your direction and edited the captions appropriately.

Now, if Guy would like to replace my fuzzy pic with his higher quality pic in my post as a site Administrator, I give him permission to do so.
:)

Scott

Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From my files:

IRISVP.PNG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Scott, Ted was pointing to your second photo in your original post. You can edit that to Iris versicolor. Those were the ones at the grand confluence of the Penn Swamp Branch and the Mighty Batsto, I'm assuming?

Ted,

That is not my post.

Guy

Guy & Scott, sorry for the mix-up. Thanks for making the adjustments. Guy, I still would like you to change your caption of your first iris post to read "Slender Blue Flag, Iris prismatica" and also post that image under Scott's "fuzzy" photo. Although a bit out of focus, Scott's image shows the color variation in Iris prismatica.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Sorry for jumping in on this one so late. With getting home late from the hike Saturday, working all day Sunday at the Barnegat Bay Festival, a bear of a work week, and family in town from Vermont this week has kept me more than busy.

It was a great time Saturday! We definitely got to see what very few have seen. The only evidence of any human activity we found was a few very old tree stands that definitely have not been used in years. The Penn Swamp Branch is remote and pristine, true Pine Barren wilderness.

The first cedar swamp of the hike. With the morning sun the colors in the swamp popped.

Bob, Jess and Guy making their way through a nice open area in the cedar.

Exploring an area that was loaded with Pipewort and Rose Pagonia.

The Mighty Batsto

Penn Swamp Branch

I'm pround of myself on this one. This is the first close up shot of any flower that I have ever had come out decent. I'm going with Iris prismatica?

As Guy stated, this was one of the best areas along the hike. At this point PBX broke into two seperate crews. Not all had a chance to enjoy it. With the water and Leather leaf the going was difficult.

I thought this was pretty cool. A lone pine amongst the cedar.

Chris

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You should be proud. A nice shot of the flower as well as others. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Hewey

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Really a great report on Your Penn Swamp Outing.The pictures were super.Seems like I was on the hike with you all.Scott told me about the hike.Scott reminds me of the Piney's I have known.Scott is a great friend.Guess we have a lot in common.Please keep the reports coming.Wish I could come along for one of your hikes.Age and physical reasons make this impossible.First started getting acquainted with the Forest when it was called the Wharton Estate.Most of the trails were used during Hunting season.Other then that most of the time I was the first car to use a trail or road in weeks.Bought a Motorcycle in 1947.Traveled quite a few thousand miles through the Swamps and Forests.Enjojed every mile and minute 0f it.I sure would like to shake Chris's hand..I have a name for him and this applies to each one of you. I don't know you and never have met you.from now on you are PTH'S (PRETTY TOUGH HOMBRE'S ) Thanks for all you do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice to hear from you Bill. I enjoyed our 2 hour talk in my front yard a few years back so you do know me. You would enjoy talking with quite a few people from this website.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
.......Bought a Motorcycle in 1947.Traveled quite a few thousand miles through the Swamps and Forests.Enjojed every mile and minute 0f it.I sure would like to shake Chris's hand..I have a name for him and this applies to each one of you. I don't know you and never have met you.from now on you are PTH'S (PRETTY TOUGH HOMBRE'S ) Thanks for all you do.

Bill,

You are the original Pretty Tough Hombre in my book !
Anyone that can run a 700 lb. 74 cubic inch Harley with a hardtail and suicide shift through the pine woods and streams is the Man !

I enjoy our weekly conversations at our club and look forward to every Thursday night.

Scott

For those who have not seen it before this is Bill crossing the Sleeper behind Batsto in the late '40s.

Bill is on the far right in this one. They were visiting his friend and Piney, Dave Amato who lived off 206 near Dutchtown.

Bill,

You are the original Pretty Tough Hombre in my book !
Anyone that can run a 700 lb. 74 cubic inch Harley with a hardtail and suicide shift through the pine woods and streams is the Man !

I enjoy our weekly conversations at our club and look forward to every Thursday night.

Scott

For those who have not seen it before this is Bill crossing the Sleeper behind Batsto in the late '40s.

Bill is on the far right in this one. They were visiting his friend and Piney, Dave Amato who lived off 206 near Dutchtown.

WOW, Scott, thanks for posting Bill's photos. It's nice seeing an early photo of an old friend, the late Davie Amato, at whose house (which is still standing, tho abandoned near Dutchtown), I spent many hours discussing the Sleeper Branch back country and bog ore mining, not to mention devouring blueberries in his field next to the house. Davie was quite a local historian!