Hiking the old CNJ tracks from Atsion to Carranza

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
That will be a disappointment if it's true. Most of those I hike with find long hikes on railbeds monotonous, but I enjoy them and have done this stretch a few times and losing a trestle would be a bummer. I'm getting too old for attempting a Wallenda-style crossing. I'd think Wharton SF has no reason to make the repair, since it isn't part of their trail system and they don't own it anyway. NJT might fix it, since public money is being used to repair trestles and upgrade unused grade crossings from Lakehurst south. I was following those goings-on for a while but the mix of conjecture and fact on the various RR forums left me simply waiting to see what will happen next, with camera ready, just in case.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I'm looking at this hike from Atsion to Carranza and there is a report that one of the old trestles over one of the small streams has been washed out, leaving only rails.

http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/atsion-carranza-monument#comment-4888

I haven't hiked those tracks in a few years, but I assume that the trestle may have been washed out by Irene or Sandy or another storm. Can anyone confirm this?

Jeff,

it's not a trestle, but there is a washout at Myme Spring under the railroad. It's about 0.62 miles off Quaker Bridge Rd. I have attached a location and some pics. These are before the storm. Don

washout.jpg

IMG_7671.JPG

IMG_7672.JPG

You could make your way across before the storm, don't know now?
IMG_7676.JPG
IMG_7680.JPG

Reactions: John

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
That will be a disappointment if it's true. Most of those I hike with find long hikes on railbeds monotonous, but I enjoy them and have done this stretch a few times and losing a trestle would be a bummer. I'm getting too old for attempting a Wallenda-style crossing. I'd think Wharton SF has no reason to make the repair, since it isn't part of their trail system and they don't own it anyway. NJT might fix it, since public money is being used to repair trestles and upgrade unused grade crossings from Lakehurst south. I was following those goings-on for a while but the mix of conjecture and fact on the various RR forums left me simply waiting to see what will happen next, with camera ready, just in case.

GermanG,
I don't think they know this washout is there. It would be an easy fix. It washed out next to the culvert pipes. Just backfill. But how would they get back there? See photo. Don
IMG_7722.JPG

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
It looks like the culverts clogged with debris and the water took the next easiest path. Even if back-filled, the culverts would have to be cleared as well, but I don't think it's an issue of how easily it could be done as much as who is going to do it, and why. The state forest doesn't own it and government entities get picky about such technicalities. The owner, NJT, obviously isn't using it and fixing it wouldn't be high on their priorities. They aren't holding the property for trail purposes. The solution I see most likely to happen is a discreet bandaid fix with some planks by park users. That's been done enough times elsewhere. Thanks for the pics, BTW! :)

Last edited: