fishing to eat

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
If you know how to fillet the bones out of pickerel and like em I could show you some good places.You must know how to get the bones out though.

Al, I needed this info 50 years ago, back in the 70s' I didn't think you could fillet pickerel. I ate pickerel and catfish often. Also, loved bluegills. Cooked them on the grill and served with sliced jersey tomatoes from the garden and a couple of beers. If you're a south jersey boy it just don't get any better than that. The meat was very tasty but the small bones drove me crazy. I wondered why they had 10 times more bones than other fish, or maybe just seemed like it.
I lived on Atsion Road in the 70s and behind my property back in the woods there was a virgin pond that eventually emptied into Shadow Lake. The fish in this pond were beautiful, their eyes were crystal clear, colors were valid and the catfish were coal black with bright white bellies. I had the pond all to myself. I don't think anyone ever went back there. The nearest house to me at the time was one mile east on Atsion Road and west on Atsion Road from my house to Medford Lakes, it was unpaved and a car could not go through the sandy areas near Medford Lakes. A pickup could but needed a running start.

Thanks Al, love the info but for me it's 50 years too late, Don

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you know how to fillet the bones out of pickerel and like em I could show you some good places.You must know how to get the bones out though.

I was shown how to filet pike by my father many moons ago; don't recall exactly as I never cared for eating pike, just catching, but do remember a V cut along the backbone when fileting to remove the bones or not bothering and cooking high heat to dry them enough so they could be safely eaten. I'd imagine the filet method is on the net somewhere.