What mammal would dig up sand over and over?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
14182352908_0f5e0a751b_z.jpg

This photo is from the northern side of Parker Preserve. There were two sets of tracks that followed a sand road and turned into the preserve near the back reservoir.

Reactions: 46er

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Comedians :)... I had to borrow that dollar so I had a reference for the size of the tracks that aren't suppose to exist in that area.

Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
Pigs are used to hunt truffles but the big problem with pigs is that they will eat the truffles if your not on top of em to snatch it away from them.Dogs are trained as well to hunt them and the dogs will not eat them but they are not near as good at it as the pigs are.
Did you ever see that show that used to be on Discovery channel, where the guy was in NC (I think) and he had a pet bear who could find him a couple of thousand dollars worth of truffles in a few hours?
I have a digger dog, bred for hunting out prey and digging in their dens. I tried to teach her to find truffles, since she's a low-rider and so close to the earth....but she's a dachshund and too dang stubborn!

Reactions: manumuskin

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Since this thread has gotten so strong on mushrooms I wanted to let Manumuskin know of a good mushroom book my botanist daughter gifted to me: "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora, 2d edition, 10 Speed Press, Berkeley, CA, ISBN 0-89815-169-4. Probably could get a copy on inter-library load from local library.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think my mushroom expert buddy has that book.will have to ask him.I know maybe half a dozen kinds well enough I"d trust myself to pick and eat.He knows several dozen.So far my favorite is Old man of the Woods Bolete.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
habitat looked like this. very open canpopy area. probably a peraglacial dune. seems natural except for one fence post I found. very large area.
20254426569_86a6e38889_h.jpg

20441067405_a50300ff8a_h.jpg

20447290391_7a3cf4427b_h.jpg

I would say in that area I found 15 digs like this ranging form these ones that look like big scrapes, to deep digs going more strait down. I've never seen so much mammal activity in one place before. Any suggestions of what mammal this was? grey fox or Coyote? what would they be looking for?

kind of looks like a deer scrape, but exceptionally long and deep.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I've seen sign that was identical to that in the photo; deep, elongated scrapes in the ground and smelled strongly like urine. A friend of mine (who is very experienced with the outdoors) was adamant that it was bear sign, which is possible because we were in a location where bear were known to frequent. Not sure if it can be generalized to your find but they are very similar.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The claw marks in the sand would look different. BTW, my dogs pee on these scrapings so it might not be from the perp.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I would have assumed it to be a buck scrape but like I said I've seen something nearly identical and was told that it was bear. Isn't it possible for this to be a buck scrape? Were there any other deer sign on trees near this scrape?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
A buck scrape generally has grooves in the sand where the antlers have been dragged across the ground.Also if fresh and you get down and stick your nose virtually in the sand you can smell fresh buck piss.I personally don't care for the smell but doe seemed to get turned on by it and other bucks literally get "pissed off".The scrapes are always made under a limb overhanging about five feet off the ground.The buck will then jab his eye gland into the over hanging twig as another form of scent marking. basically He's telling the other bucks "Meet me here and lets see what your made of".

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Here are scrapings with claw marks yesterday. The dry section of High Crossing, HF road had plenty. I have seen several Yotes since Aug on the roads out of High Crossing, and the Yote(s) are still there.

PC300015s.jpg

PC300016s.jpg