Camping at Batona

Stamos

Scout
Jun 11, 2009
Shamong
The girlfriend and I decided to camp at the Batona site this past Saturday into Sunday. Aside from two other people on the other side of the campground we were alone. The weather was unseasonably warm (IMO) for mid-late November, but cooled off nicely at night.

We hiked with the dog for a few miles off trail, stumbling across various wildlife. The real wild life came though once the sun went down. At about 1 am some yokel decided he wanted to do burn-outs on Carranza Road in his turbo diesel truck. Normally I am a car guy through and through, but this was ridiculous. So be it, he grew tired of smoking tires rather quickly and thankfully moved on.

At 2:30 we were awakened by a pack of coyotes barking and yelping what sounded like 20 yards behind our tent. Having camped my entire life in various states I have encountered wildlife from rattlesnakes to wild dogs so I wasn't too shaken up by the coyotes, but my dog and girlfriend woke up with eyes as big as saucers! Luckily the coyotes moved on after about 5 minutes and blissful peace resumed.

Nothing like waking up to campfire coffee and the Pines.

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 375

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your dog still seems to be concerned about the coyote's.:D

Thanks for the post!

Reactions: John