Upper Wading River

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From the bridge on route 563, I brutally made my way past the 6 or 7 beaver dams to the reservoir downstream. Once you get past the last dam, there is only one tough spot, and it's free and clear after that. Clearly, this run has to be worth it to those wanting to try it. It took 5 hours or so down and back. Beautiful once you are there, but hot as a devil and plenty of pine flies. Had a strange thing happen when I got to the Risley's Branch junction. I heard what seemed like thousands of bees crossing the river over the top of me, high up in the cedars. Very unsettling.

J6849.PNG
j6848.PNG
j6846.PNG
j6845.PNG
j6839.PNG
j6836.PNG
j6.PNG

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
From the bridge on route 563, I brutally made my way past the 6 or 7 beaver dams to the reservoir downstream. Once you get past the last dam, there is only one tough spot, and it's free and clear after that. Clearly, this run has to be worth it to those wanting to try it. It took 5 hours or so down and back. Beautiful once you are there, but hot as a devil and plenty of pine flies. Had a strange thing happen when I got to the Risley's Branch junction. I heard what seemed like thousands of bees crossing the river over the top of me, high up in the cedars. Very unsettling.

View attachment 7558 View attachment 7559 View attachment 7560 View attachment 7561 View attachment 7563 View attachment 7564 View attachment 7566
Looks beautiful and very quiet (other than the alien bees)....were you able to find a spot to beach your kayak and stretch your legs?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Looks beautiful and very quiet (other than the alien bees)....were you able to find a spot to beach your kayak and stretch your legs?

Only sporadically until you get to the reservoir. The hindrance further upstream is the beaver--their dams create extensive wetlands on both sides of the river making it difficult to walk unless you have boots. I did have mine.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Love the upper Wading. The only stretch of river below Chatsworth Lake that I have not done is the stretch below the reservoir to Speedwell, because there simply isn't enough water. I've paddled a bit upstream from Speedwell before, but didn't get far. I wouldn't advise starting at Chatsworth Lake, though. I only did it to say that I did it.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Love the upper Wading. The only stretch of river below Chatsworth Lake that I have not done is the stretch below the reservoir to Speedwell, because there simply isn't enough water. I've paddled a bit upstream from Speedwell before, but didn't get far. I wouldn't advise starting at Chatsworth Lake, though. I only did it to say that I did it.
Any thoughts on what river/creek/brook that you have kayaked stands out as the most remote or most remote "feeling"? I do not know own a kayak so I wont ruin the isolation myself :) But curious to know what you think. The Skit? Tulpehocken? Albertson? Nescochague? I enjoy a nice midweek paddle (renting the kayak) on the Batsto/Mullica/Wading/Oswego but relatively speaking they can be fairly heavily used. I realize obstructions (beaver/blowdowns/etc) can be a big issue on these less frequently travelled areas but from a remote stand point and natural beauty...any thoughts?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"ve always wanted to do the Wading above Speedweel but besides walking small portions I have yet to boat it. I would agree whole heartedly though with Gabes choices.I"ve done all those except the Sleeper and I"ve walked many sections of that stream that were gorgeous.Have had a look at Risleys but haven't put a boat in that one yet either.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, when you think of the 12 dams and that I'm 62 now, it don't seem too bad. Throw in the lunch and the 45 minutes I was looking for orchids in the woods, not too bad at all.

Man ...you are old. If I had known you were 62 I would have brought a defibrillator with me whenever we went out.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I tease you, Bob. Nothing better than taking one's time on the river. Good to see you doing these paddles.
Well, when you think of the 12 dams and that I'm 62 now, it don't seem too bad. Throw in the lunch and the 45 minutes I was looking for orchids in the woods, not too bad at all.

Reactions: bobpbx
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Risely is short but ultra sweet! Definitely remote.
I"ve always wanted to do the Wading above Speedweel but besides walking small portions I have yet to boat it. I would agree whole heartedly though with Gabes choices.I"ve done all those except the Sleeper and I"ve walked many sections of that stream that were gorgeous.Have had a look at Risleys but haven't put a boat in that one yet either.

Reactions: manumuskin

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report, Bob. I have been meaning to do that stretch along the wading for a while now but have yet to. Your report makes me want to get out there.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Any thoughts on what river/creek/brook that you have kayaked stands out as the most remote or most remote "feeling"? I do not know own a kayak so I wont ruin the isolation myself :) But curious to know what you think. The Skit? Tulpehocken? Albertson? Nescochague? I enjoy a nice midweek paddle (renting the kayak) on the Batsto/Mullica/Wading/Oswego but relatively speaking they can be fairly heavily used. I realize obstructions (beaver/blowdowns/etc) can be a big issue on these less frequently travelled areas but from a remote stand point and natural beauty...any thoughts?

I've done quite a lot of the more remote watersheds, some un-named tributaries as well. The sleeper is a stand out for it's remoteness. I did a tributary to the tulpehocken once that was really "out there"...that had a powerful feeling of remoteness, and beauty to it.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Jeff, what part of the Sleeper did you paddle? That little river seems to pop up and disappear over and over again.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jeff, what part of the Sleeper did you paddle? That little river seems to pop up and disappear over and over again.

Hey Ed. Years back, Jeff and I did a good deal of the stretch between the old cranberry bog reservoir and the Wescoat Bogs. Beautiful stream. I've also paddled a bit of the stream at Parkdale, another gorgeous stretch. The only other portion I've padded is from the mouth of the stream nearly to the reservoir for the old Constable bogs (Jeff, you've paddled the bog itself, haven't you?) Considering the the Sleeper Branch is nearly as long as Atsion and Nescochague Creeks, you might be surprised at how meager its flow is at its confluence with Atsion Creek. This is due to the water being diverted to a tributary of Sleepy Creek (not to be confused with Sleeper Branch) at the Wescoat Bogs.

Say, Jeff, we should return to do that paddle again. This time it would be great to go all the way to Wescoat.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Is there any official word on whether use of saws, loppers, etc is permitted to remove blowdowns that obstruct passage ? I could see it being very slow going on little used waterways due to obstructions and portaging would be difficult in some areas.