Christopher's Mill, Medford, NJ

CynthiaSos

Sep 9, 2016
Shamong
My family has recently put our property, the historic Christopher's Mill, on the market, and we would be appreciative of any historical information that anyone has about this wonderful 17th century homestead that we could pass on to any new owners. We have some old turn of the century photos and old news clippings, and Native American and settler artifacts we have found on the property, but we thought it would be nice to have as much as possible for whoever purchased the property. Anyone have any old photos or clippings we could take a look at to see if we don't have the in our collection? Anyone know anything about this property on Tuckerton Rd in Medford? We have lots of old stories that were handed down to us when we bought the property from the Wagners in 1988, but would love to hear what other people know. thanks!

Cynthia was nice enough to invite me out for a tour of her family's property today, and I suggested she might want to come here and share with the board.

It's a wonderful property. The house itself is beautiful, and there are the remains of the summer kitchen next door, as well as the old smokehouse, which is very intact (although with a much newer roof). Barton's Run cuts around the old mill pond, and there are some remains of the old mill dam on the stream. There's also massive, ancient tree out by the run (tulip oak? My tree name memory is never the greatest) next to the creek that was totally worth the tour by itself!

I used to live right around the corner (a few houses down from the Pine Grove Church on the Old Marlton Pike) and would admire the old house and the remains of the summer kitchen whenever I drove or biked by it, so it was a real treat to be able to walk this historic property today with Cynthia. Thank you again!

img_1526.jpg

Reactions: CynthiaSos

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
THAT, is a very old mill. Interesting!

When I was down the shore this year, I took along a book titled "Apostle of NJ--John Talbot" (1645-1727). The preface has quite a bit of early history. In 1678, when the mill was established, some English Quakers sailed from Hull to Burlington by way of the "Shield". I suppose the mill may have been settled by Swedes or Dutch?

Reactions: CynthiaSos

CynthiaSos

Sep 9, 2016
Shamong
THAT, is a very old mill. Interesting!

When I was down the shore this year, I took along a book titled "Apostle of NJ--John Talbot" (1645-1727). The preface has quite a bit of early history. In 1678, when the mill was established, some English Quakers sailed from Hull to Burlington by way of the "Shield". I suppose the mill may have been settled by Swedes or Dutch?

Interesting, thanks Bob! And thanks for pointing to that book, it sounds like a good read.

CynthiaSos

Sep 9, 2016
Shamong
Cynthia was nice enough to invite me out for a tour of her family's property today, and I suggested she might want to come here and share with the board.

It's a wonderful property. The house itself is beautiful, and there are the remains of the summer kitchen next door, as well as the old smokehouse, which is very intact (although with a much newer roof). Barton's Run cuts around the old mill pond, and there are some remains of the old mill dam on the stream. There's also massive, ancient tree out by the run (tulip oak? My tree name memory is never the greatest) next to the creek that was totally worth the tour by itself!

I used to live right around the corner (a few houses down from the Pine Grove Church on the Old Marlton Pike) and would admire the old house and the remains of the summer kitchen whenever I drove or biked by it, so it was a real treat to be able to walk this historic property today with Cynthia. Thank you again!

img_1526.jpg

Thanks so much for stopping by yesterday, Mike, it was a pleasure to show you around and share with you what we know about the property. If anyone else would like to see this wonderful old homestead while we still own it, feel free to be in touch here and we can arrange for a visit.

Paul Wagner

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
My family has recently put our property, the historic Christopher's Mill, on the market, and we would be appreciative of any historical information that anyone has about this wonderful 17th century homestead that we could pass on to any new owners. We have some old turn of the century photos and old news clippings, and Native American and settler artifacts we have found on the property, but we thought it would be nice to have as much as possible for whoever purchased the property. Anyone have any old photos or clippings we could take a look at to see if we don't have the in our collection? Anyone know anything about this property on Tuckerton Rd in Medford? We have lots of old stories that were handed down to us when we bought the property from the Wagners in 1988, but would love to hear what other people know. thanks!
Hello I am Paul Wagner and I grew up at Christopher's Mill. I would be glad to share documents and info with you.