Young child drowns in Lake Absegami

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I took my children there a couple times. It can be crowded. There is no way to watch every one at the same time. God bless that little girl.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Truly sad. A 4 year old has no business in the water without direct supervision, even with lifeguards on duty. Unfortunately the state and other locations have seen shortages in hiring experienced seasonal lifeguards. For state parks, no experience is necessary and applicants can be as young as 16. The lawyers will be salivating over this tragedy.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/jobs.html

Elsewhere, rt539 took 3 more victims, a 6 month old and her 27 year old mother and a 67 year old. The mothers 5 year old survived. My nephew was one of the first responding. He hasn't slept much since.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Elsewhere, rt539 took 3 more victims, a 6 month old and her 27 year old mother and a 67 year old. The mothers 5 year old survived. My nephew was one of the first responding. He hasn't slept much since.

Where was the location?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Where was the location?

In Little Egg Harbor, just past the bogs on the north side, near North Shore Drive. The 27 yo crossed over into the west bound lane. Based on the vehicle damage, estimates were both traveling in excess of 60, that's a closing speed of 120+, do not know what types of vehicles.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
My nephew was one of the first responding. He hasn't slept much since.
Those scenes never leave the memory I still have dreams from past calls that heavily impacted me and haven't run a call in almost 15 years. Make sure your nephew doesn't hold it in.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
But once the lawyers are involved, with threat of lawsuits, I don't expect there will be answers. I assume the State has told the people affected to make no statements, say nothing at all, until court (if it goes that far). And I'm sure the newspaper people know this.